Friday, January 09, 2009

Things I have made lately

The return to the grind has been less than kind so I've drowned my sorrows in some food.

On Thursday I made some wonton soup. The wontons were pre-made from Hon's. I enjoy making wontons sometimes but they can be a lot of work. I had picked up some pre-made ones on a whim while at Hon;s one night. Thursday I woke up feeling headachy, tired and ill. Wonton soup seemed the perfect pick me up. Veggie chicken broth and a dash of barefoot contessa's indonesian ginger marinade in place of soy sauce (because I was out) and some green onions with the frozen wontons made a nice pick me up. Buckets of tea later and some unsweetened cranberry juice, I felt slightly better. Good enough to head out for some cross country skiing anyways.

Before leaving I also whipped up an apple cake. apple Cake is the best way to use some of those apples that aren't quite crisp and lovely, but aren't yet wizened and icky either. Apples, sugar, whole wheat flour, eggs and the usual cake suspects make up a very apple loaded, barely any cake dessert that seems sort of healthy and is very good. Topped with a drizzle of brown sugar, cream and icing sugar it seems even yummier although slightly less healthy.

For dinner tonight we are having meatballs in a homemade bbq esque sauce (ketchup, brown sugar, onion, garlic) with oven roasted winter vegetables. I like roast veggies because you can just sub in anything. Tonight's assortment includes potatoes, carrots, onions and beets with roasted garlic on the side to be mixed in at the end. I was going to make either a coleslaw salad or an apple carrot salad but somehow that hasn't happened.... I've got about 5 minutes before dinner so I guess I'll see how creative I can be in that time... I'm guessing not very creative at all.

No comments: