Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Problem Solving

Life has been very busy. I have taken on a lot this quarter and have added a lot of new activities to the mix. This means that suddenly there is little time for cooking and even less time for eating. On top of all this I have decided to lose some weight. In the past I've joined weight watchers, skimped on foods and then had limited success. This time around I've decided that life style choices need to happen. I am a healthy eater for the most part but despite my emphasis on veggies and whole grains, I still take in too many calories. I have been journaling my food and exercise and have discovered a few problem areas and a few strategies that I hope will help me deal with them.

I have a tendency to skip breakfast - yes, yes I know. Healthiest meal of the day, blah blah, blah. The problem is I don't like eggs and I am just so sick of toast and yogurt and fruit. And I am a localvore and at the moment fruit choices are limited. And no, I won't be changing my localvore focus. Solution? Ehhh, still working on this one. I bought some Special K satisfaction cereal (not local but less problematic than fruit) and am giving oatmeal a really good effort. I hate oatmeal. Same texture as eggs. Gross.

I also have a tendency to skip lunch. It is not uncommon for me to realize at 2:00 pm that I haven't eaten yet. That would be because I am busy. How do I get to that point in the day you ask? My cup of coffee in the morning makes me feel full. And then when lunch comes around, I get the kids fed and am doing 20 other things and whammo, I've missed the meal. I'm trying the following solutions: tea at breakfast doesn't make me feel full and then i eat; Eating breakfast (sigh); Bought some protein shake mix and will blend up with non fat plain yogurt and frozen fruit and then it is a portable meal; bought some frozen lunches - not my thing but better that then nothing; have stocked my cupboard with low fat, healthy, low sodium, 1-3 point soups.

3:00 is my crash time and I need carbs. Solution is to drink my coffee at this time of day. :) I have also stocked up on a few low fat carbilicious snacks. No sense being a martyr.

Biggest addition is that I have increased my activity levels. I already walk the dog 4-6x a week. Ski season is long since here and we are skiing an average of 6 weekend days a month. 3 weekends that is. I ski pretty hard when I hit the hill. Sometimes I go by myself, sometimes with DH, sometimes I do a lesson. On top of this the kids and I just finished 4 mondays of lessons locally. This meant that we were skiing 3 days in a row. Needless to say I didn't ski too hard on those 3rd days. But still hard enough. I pushed myself a bit yesterday with it and hit some black runs. On top of this I have learned skate skiing (xc) and have been going 1-2x a week up until last week when I just stopped. I love it but it is exhausting at Cypress. It is all up hill!!! AND if that wasn't enough I have joined a running club. It might be a bit much all at once like this. I'm not getting as much done as I should be and I'm feeling a bit worn out today. But when I am running and skiing I feel incredibly good.

Food wise, we've made some stuff for the freezer to take skiing: Buffalo meatballs, lasagna (6 points a serving) and something else but I can't remember what it was ;)

We've entered the most horrid time of year for the localvore diet... we are down to some less than exciting choices: beets, potatoes, apples, pears, squash (which I like), sprouts etc. There are other options I'm sure but we buy our produce from a specific source so we are limited. It is times like now that I am glad I have blueberries, peaches and raspberries in my freezer. I miss my kale and local carrots have vanished so I am resorting to not buying local in order to have some of those around. I'd kill for a head of broccoli right now and instead resort to savoring it off of veggie plates at cafeterias. But soon, so soon, the sweet greens pop up their head and the local vore enjoys a symphony of flavor in her mouth when new veggies are available again. :)

3 comments:

Magnificent M said...

I should mention that I am doing weight watchers again... :) I kinda make it sound negative above, but really the issue is my implementation of it. The program itself is good. Although the smell of the 0 point soup drives me insane every time!!

Michelle said...

I'm the same way (or I used to be) about it being 2pm and suddenly remembering to eat. I do like eggs, but do not want to cook them just for me. I am just not a breakfast person. Since finding out about the diabetes I now have to eat in the morning or watch my numbers suffer, since then around 3-4 my carb cravings peak. I still hate eating before 11 or 12 and have to force myself, no matter what ingenious things I try. Then I usually end up finding some kind of lunch around 2. LOL It's hard to change 20+ years of habit. But I'm trying!

Good for you on the WW and the activity. I was doing really well with the personal trainer and stuff until last weeks bump. I have to wait a few weeks before I can start up again, but I'm looking forward to it. As much as I dreaded going to it, once I was doing it I really loved it.

Amanda said...

I learned recently that eating small things more often is actually better for you... and it's working for me! Every couple hours I eat something healthy like a banana or veggies or fruit or something. I almost always eat cereal for breakfast but I went to a wellness consultation at my gym and they said to add a piece of fruit to complete the protein and round off your meal. Like I said it's been working for me, but I've been slacking on the exercise front lately... oops!