Monday, September 24, 2007

Things I am looking forward to... (increasing the likelihood of survival)

This week started off with a hmmppfff and it is only going to go downhill from here...

Yet another week with too much work scheduled in days that are simply not long enough, surrounded by desperate attempts to still be a decent mother and participate in family life with a tinge of "why oh why did I decide I wanted a career and a masters degree" thrown in for good measure. I am seriously hanging from the end of my rope and this week isn't going to help the situation. I would desperately like a spa weekend to look forward to but am settling on the following upcoming events to make it seem like it is all worth it:

1. A hair appointment with Adam - we love him! My hair desperately needs some attention and Adam is always worth many laughs.
2. A day at the spa... tomorrow! Its not a full day but several hours of bliss await. And considering that I worked most of the weekend and several other weekends this month I think I am allowed to take a few hours to myself. I say this outloud to try to chase away the guilt I have for going to the spa during hours I could/should be working. The best thing is that it will be almost free as I'm cashing in a gift card that I received for Mother's day. I knew there'd be a bad spell where I'd be broke, tired, stressed and in desperate need of pampering so I squirrelled the card away until now!!! Have I mentioned how much I hate September?
3. A weekend away downtown. My husband has work and social commitments this weekend downtown and we are going to a fundraiser event with friends that we bought tickets for months ago. We've decided to stay overnight and make a weekend of it. A little rug shopping, hopefully some purchasing, some wine, some jazz, good food and time spent with a lot of friends we don't see enough of.
4. Thanksgiving weekend/wine festival in the okanagan. Always the highlight of my fall. My dad and I are thinking of making Lamb and using one of our new recipes from "Menus from an orchard Table" by Heidi Noble.
5. A weekend at Whistler with new friends.... many of whom we don't know yet :-) Always an interresting experience - LOL! I'm hoping we can squeeze in a nice dinner at the same time.
6. A wine tasting party at our house... except I haven't had time to deal with the details yet. My redheaded friend wants it to happen October 13th but I'm not sure about that date... possibly later than that.
7. We are having tacos tomorrow night. We are having REAL, authentic, Mexican tacos tomorrow night, with friends, two of whom are newly engaged :-) Tacos, diamonds and perhaps we will need to crack open something exciting to celebrate. The taco's were planned before I knew of the engagement but now it is very fitting for salsa and guac loving friends! Fiesta!!!

When I list it out like this I realize that October is going to be a very fun month but that all of these social plans are going to make October a very busy month as I will need to keep very busy during the week to make it all balance. Inevitably it won't and I'll find myself too busy and stressed out :( Life is easier when I don't schedule any social events in and just work, work, work, work, work, work, work, work... Despite being my all time FAVORITE time of year, I have to say that September is horrible.

2 comments:

Lindsey and Mike said...

I'm so excited for authentic tacos...woo-hoo!!! We were sad today as we discovered an over-ripe avacado in the crisper from last week. It could not be salvaged. But the news of tacos has made it all good again...the avacado did not parish in vain!

Magnificent M said...

ROFL! Owww, don't make me laugh I've pulled a muscle in my back :( can't wait to see the rock tonight!