Friday, September 21, 2007

Stella must try these...

Okay wow! Sometimes trying something new is incredibly exciting. Last night was tandoori chicken burgers and although it sounds mediocre, it was amazing!!!! The recipe is simple, marinate boneless, skinless chicken thighs in some spices, through it in the food processor to grind it up, make small patties and grille them. Serve with pita, cilantro and cucumber. I added sweet walla walla onions in a bit of vinegar with a tsp (approx) of sugar (Double double's creation) and a yogurt sauce of 1/2 c fat free plain yogurt with 1 tsp cumin and sea salt and ground pepper. It was a great meal! The chicken had lots of flavor but was not spicy hot. I had the leftovers today for lunch as a salad and it was just as good. In addition to being yummy, this dinner was also very economical. Chicken thighs are cheaper than breasts but still good. I'm no fan of dark meat but chicken thighs are technically light meat and not fatty at all. And when you grind them yourself you get a much leaner product and not mystery "chunks". You could make a batch of these up and then freeze the patties for a quick meal too. I think you could even get away with subbing in some tofu or soy textured protein to extend this and make it even cheaper. And because the tandoori is so flavorful I think you could even make this with straight tofu and just add some egg white or something to hold the patties together.

Here is the recipe!

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=06aa934be4b0f010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=tandoori%20chicken&rsc=ns2006_m3

1 comment:

T. said...

Sound so good!!!! I'll definately look up the recipe.