Monday, August 20, 2007

Why I love spud

It is official I have joined the 100 mile diet challenge (more info at 100MileDiet.org . This an improvement over what I thought it was - 100 km - as 100 miles is a larger area :-). I definately have things already kicking around in my house that travelled from further but from now until thanksgiving I am going to attempt to eat foods that were grown and produced within 100 miles of my house. Fortunately this is super simple for me to do because the website I order my groceries from tells me the distance it travels.

I love ordering my foods through SPUD. At first the prices look more expensive than buying foods at the store but in practice we actually spend signficantly less $ each week. Ordering online allows me to do my grocery shopping at ridiculous times which saves me time. Ordering online eliminates any impulse purchases. There are few options on SPUD that are not healthy... there are a few baked goods and a few types of organic chips (does it really matter if it is organic if you are eating chips?!) but for the most part it is all good, healthy food. It also inspires us to plan our meals around our produce. It takes creativity some times but we have found some really great, quick and easy meals that allow us to do just that. And when I order online, it creates a total cost line before I actually submit my order. This allows me to say "hmmmm, my budget is ____" and cut down to what is really important. I don't miss shopping at the grocery store, although I still do pop in for a few items here and there. I also shop at farmers markets when I get a chance and on our trips to and from Osoyoos we always stop at this great produce market that has other foods as well.

This week we have a tonne of veggies to eat up and are back on our bootcamp meal plan. I figured that with no kids, it would be a good week to eat uber-healthy and lose another inch or so. Tonight's dinner: Curried spinach salad with grilled chicken, and pumpkin seeds. It is supposed to have papaya with it but I am going to sub in something like peaches instead. It is a quick fix dinner as we are zooming out to Ikea tonight to pick up a few things.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

We've been ordering from Spud for about three years now. I really like it. I get my coffee cream (cereal cream) from them, my LQC brie, butter, and more, on top of the veggies & fruit. I just cooked up some of their corn tonight, on the bbq.

Magnificent M said...

I didn't know that!!! Too funny! I've turned Stella onto it and she is enjoying it too.

You know what is really yummy, the soups. Very good!

We had our corn the other night and it was gooooood.

Magnificent M said...

mmm, forgot to say. We first started ordering from SPUD before it was spud but can't remember the name, when we lived in our apartment in burnaby. When we bought our first home in MR they didn't deliver that far. But then I think they changed to SPUD and started delivering so we restarted our order. We've stopped and started several times since then but most recently restarted shortly after we moved to this house.

and I love the LQC brie!

Michelle said...

LOL - yep. I figured it out when you started commenting about how far your food travelled. I figured it must be SPUD, although I know there is another company doing it now too. We started when we lived on 232nd, paused for the move to Vancouver, picked it up again, paused to move back here and picked it up again. I've rarely had any bad stuff although two weeks ago we did. Everything was overripe. They gave us a credit it for it right away. Very good customer service there.

And yes, on the LQC brie. We had that last night on a loaf of this garlic/cheese sourdough that we also got through SPUD. Mmmmmm.