Date Night #1: Shopping at Ikea
This is a bit of a lame date night because technically we can take the kids to ikea and leave them in the playroom while we shop making it is an anytime activity. That said, we are on an organizing/furniture acquiring bug so a trip to ikea was needed. Normally when we go to ikea we are on the tight timeline of the playroom "must... finish.... shopping... before... time... elapses" and inevitably someone gets to stand in line while someone answer the buzz of the vibrating pager. This time there were no time constraints and the idea that we would return home to no children was weird/exciting. While I was waiting for DH to load something onto the cart I noticed this family in the same aisle. They had one child and she was about 8 with very blonde hair. Watching them I couldln't help but remember all of my trips to ikea as a child. I grew up with ikea furniture and trips to ikea with my parents. We went about 1x a year which made it very special. That was back in the days where they had a huge ball pit and there was only one ikea. When I reached move-out-of-the-house age of course I shopped at ikea. And when DH and I moved into our first apartment together, we headed off to ikea to buy some new furniture with his hard earned money. So standing there, waiting, I had this whole life with ikea flashback and it made me smile. As we stood in line to spend our money, I turned to DH and said "do you remember our first Ikea couch?" (dark green). "And remember when we bought our bed?" (the bed we still have - how very sad is that?!?) and we started talking about how we would lug home furniture in our pick up truck and about our first and second apartments and then our first little rancher home which only Double double and Mo have had the pleasure of experiencing.
Tuesday, August 21, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
You and your dh are cute. I don't think mine is big on shopping trips. He'd go, but he wouldn't enjoy it. I've never been big on their furniture but I love their marketplace stuff. Also a great place to get prints and frames inexpensively.
DH is not a big shopper... he gets whiney towards the end but that is what cinnamon buns are for, to cheer up whiney shoppers! Yum! We needed a dresser for our new guest room/Ale's room, a new bed that wasn't expensive, some baskets etc so Ikea was the place to be. Ikea prices are good, the quality though is dependent on the item. We are on a no more ikea purchases for the nice rooms policy but kids rooms.... ehhhh its ikea all the way :-)
I agree. Mckenna`s trundle bed is Ikea and it`s actually quite nice. Why do my apostrophe`s look backwardsÉ hmm and no question mark. Great. LOL
Oooh Yay! IKEA!!! Another reason I'm happy to come home. I liked your post, it made me look forward to the day when we can actually buy something. And maybe even get a real couch.
Ahhh..the "remember when" ikea stories. We have so many good ones too!! We've gone through three whole sets of ikea apt. furniture between getting married, moving to MA, and moving back. Ikea everytime though :-).
Post a Comment