Saturday, August 25, 2007

A week redeemed

We had an amazing night. I worked steadily all day yesterday and then headed off to pick up DH from his downtown office. We found free parking in coal harbor and then walked down to Denman street. We headed to the Raincity Grill for dinner where they have a 100 mile menu. Apparently the menu changes regularly as they centre it around what is available. Last night's was focussed on heirloom tomatoes. Even the wines paired with the food came from within the 100 mile area. Wow. I've had good tomatoes before but the tomato dishes there were incredible. We had tomato chips that were sliced dehydrated tomatoes with a fromage frais with herbs dip. The sliced tomatoes were so incredibly flavorful and I couldn't help thinking "What a great snack!!" DH tells me he can build me a dehydrator and I am seriously thinking about it. We also had a very simple but very good tomato salad that took my breath away. It was sooooo simple but the flavors of the variously colored heirloom tomatoes was just incredible. After our entrees I ended with a peach granita with blackberries and marscapone that had been frozen and it was amazing. I had to laugh, even the dessert had some tomatoes - carmelized tomato slices garnished the dessert. That sounds weird, but hey tomatoes are fruit too! It was a bit weird but very, very good.

Our table was on the patio and we had a fantastic ocean sunset view. The view was very similar to our old view from our first apartment in the West end. Being there made me think of how much I miss living downtown. As we walked to the restaurant and as we sat on the patio watching the sunset I couldn't help but notice how many families are around downtown. I don't remember it being like that when I lived there but maybe I just didn't notice. Raising a child in the city is pretty much the opposite of what we chose. As a city girl I think it would be great but it would be hard to have all of the baby/kid stuff in a tight space.

We walked back down Denman and stopped to buy some cupcakes from "Cupcakes" for today to have with our kids when they come home. Lots of walking, lots of sunshine, lots of time to just talk about nothing/stuff/whatever... it was exactly what I was looking for. What a great night! Today we are off to pick up our kids from their week away and I can't wait to see them!!

2 comments:

Lindsey and Mike said...

It's always a good date when Cupcakes is involved:) What flavors did you get?

Magnificent M said...

We got a 6 pack with: lemon (ohhh soooo good), pear with poppyseeds, chocolate caramel, coconut (also incredibly good), mocha, and mint chocolate chip because that is Gorilla's favorite ice cream flavor... at the moment.