Friday, December 22, 2006

too many cooks in the kitchen

What do you get when you take 2 control freaks who both like to menu plan and attempt to create plans for a special meal? A gong show.

We were supposed to be doing our dinner on Christmas Eve. I was going to host at my house, cook a venison roast and later have port and cheese and various nibblies fireside. Not to be! It all started when my dad started taking over saying something about he would find the recipe for the venison. Next thing I know, he has planned the entire meal and I am no longer cooking any of it. He instructs me (not asks) that I am making dessert. I don't eat dessert, I don't like dessert... ya, I can make it but honestly, its not my forte. Next thing I know I am being instructed to make strata for breakfast the next day. I have made strata, I have made omelettes, I have made various breakfast casserorles but in all honesty I hate eggs. I believe the instruction was worded as "I know you say you hate eggs but I was thinking you could make this strata recipe I saw with chorizo sausage for breakfast..." I should have said Ch-choo. My actual response was "ahhh, no. I am not making something I can't eat for breakfast." Next bamboozle... I am informed that the chef will be arriving at my house at noon on christmas eve day. Hmmm, so much for having some time with my kids. "How long does the venison take?" I ask. "Less than 2 hours." Don't ask me what is going to take all afternoon. So the short version is I put my foot down, then the event was moved to someone else's house and then finally moved to Christmas day. I was then informed not to make anything too big or exciting for Christmas breakfast as we will be eating dinner at 3:00. Sigh. Ya, that breakfast at 9:00 am is sure to intefere with a 3:00 dinner. (My parents have this *thing* about special dinners having to be at odd times of the day like 3:00. what is that?!?!)

End result, all of the arrangements I made for Christmas eve are now pointless. I guess the upside is:

1. I can go to Christmas eve services on Christmas eve instead of going on Saturday night as we had planned in order to accomodate my family
2. We can finish our advent as we want, make our "biblical meal" and not have to worry about pleasing anyone else
3. We have more family time on the weekend then anticipated.
4. We have 2 bottles of specially ordered port to consume and there are two of us... I have a sneaking suspicion that port might result in a nasty headache so perhaps I will just open one.

I have feliz navidad stuck in my head. It is entirely possible that recent events have pushed me over the edge of the line that seperates sanity from insanity. Must go wrap and deliver some wine.

3 comments:

4ever29 said...

Thanks fot the delivery! Nice template too by the way :) Lately, whenever Feliz Navidad comes on the radio I start to dance and sing really loud and for the first time ever I think all three kids are embarrassed by me.

Mike H said...

The only way to combat Feliz Navidad is to listen to Donde Esta Santa Claus.

"Mamacita, donde esta Santa Claus?
Donde esta Santa Claus?
And the toys that he will leave.
Mamacita, oh, where is Santa Claus?
I look for him because it's a Christmas Eve."

Seriously, it's the only way...

Merry Christmas!

Magnificent M said...

Mike: I have not had the pleasure of experience that song... The first few choruses of feliz navidad are, dare I say it, almost enjoyble but after that you just have to wonder, will it ever end?

4ever29: thanks for the coffee and adult convo! Its been a little lacking for us lately due to the arm and so all the more appreciated!