Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Use it up!

Thursday is grocery day. I have a love/hate relationship with the arrival of the food. I love opening the bins of groceries, seeing the bountiful fresh produce and imagining how good it tastes! I hate having to put it all away. Thursdays becomes the day I clean out my fridge, where soft cukes are discovered in the produce bin, where I soak off something sticky from the glass shelf and where I stare at the large number of condiments in the fridge door and wonder "why?"

The result of all this purging is the need to find a way to use up some odds and ends that didn't manage to get eaten during the week. This week I am faced with the following:

Kale
mini sweet peppers (seem so cute but challenging to slice up)
carrots
shallots
cucumbers
dill
mint
and a few random potatoes

My plan is:
- make a veggie dip using dill and serve carrots and peppers with this
- make a cucumber mint salad
both of these are wonderfully portable as tomorrow night we eat dinner on the run before our drama class at the Shadbolt Centre. Veggies and dip and cucumber salad will round out our sandwiches very nicely.

-sausage and kale soup (uses potatoes too) on friday night, finishing up those veggies and dip and served with a wonderful loaf of bread

This should clear it all out!!


"As I set a bowl of fresh raspberries in front of my guest, I remarked, "I feel so rich with all this wonderful fruit fresh from my garden." My guest from Colombia gently reminded me, "Anyone who has enough food is rich." - Mary Beth Lind (Simply in Season)

No comments: