Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Cheeseburger Footprint



** Warning!! This post may contain views that you do not share. I am by NO means attempting to criticize anyone's choices or make claims about how one should live their lives or insult your consumption of cheeseburgers. I am simply discussing something that intrigued me. While I am not guilty of eating cheeseburgers, I have many, many other behaviors that are probably just as detrimental to the environment!!**

I recently watched a documentary called 6 degrees. Using amazing graphics, the filmmakers were able to demonstrate the impact of the earth's average temperature rising by 1 degree, 2 degrees, 3 degrees etc. The effects of each degree of warmth were horrific and stunning and the entire documentary has remained fresh in my mind for weeks now. One of the most shocking facts that I learned though was:
Did you know that the average American eats 3 cheeseburgers a week? And did you know that the effect this has on the earth from an environmental perspective is greater than ALL of the SUV's on the road? Here is the video clip if you want to watch it.

I was stunned. 3 cheeseburgers a week cannot be good for your health either!!! I for one, have not eaten a cheeseburger in at least 16 years. I have always hated hamburgers. I have had ground beef on occasion but I can't remember the last time I cooked with ground beef as I usually use either veggie ground or occasionally I have moose or venison kicking around in my freezer. I've had many a veggie burger though(although never 3 a week!!) but I'm guessing the impact on the earth is much less for a veggie burger.

I am however guilty of sharing house with someone who owns and drives a big diesel guzzling truck. I plead innocence on this charge though, seeing as I was not for purchasing the Beast. Perhaps my skipping cheeseburgers evens me out on this offence?

1 comment:

T. said...

That's crazy!! I want to watch this video!