Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Use it up Wednesday

Dinner tonight was healthy, yummy and well received and I thought I would share this recipe. I was able to make it up ahead in the morning and then bake it in the evening.

Summer Squash Bake

6-7 cups zucchini or yellow squash, shredded. You can slice it as well. Shredded makes it less noticeable but children who think that they don't like zucchini. Sliced, you need to micro for 3-4 minutes with a bit of water. Shredded you don't.
1 small onion - I left this out. My children have onion radar and go to great lengths to reject food with onions. I decided that making them eat zucchini was battle enough.

1 recipe cream soup substitute - I'll skip writing this out, you can just use a can of condensed cream soup
1 cup yogurt or sour cream
1 cup shredded carrot.

Mix all of these up in a bowl.

2 tbsp fresh oregano or 2 tsp dried
1 cup of chicken (optional) I left this out.
1 cup shredded cheese (optional) I put this in.

Add and mix thoroughly.

1/4 cup butter melted
2-3 cups herbed croutons or make your own or herb stuffing mix. I made croutons... super easy.
Mix together in sepeate bowl. Put half in bottom of a 9x13 baking pan or deep casserole dish. Add the squash mixture and top with reserved croutons. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes. If you make ahead and bake later, bake for 50 minutes.

This was surprisingly very good. I thought the kids would complain about the zucc but both said it was yummy. DH was very pleased with it too.

we had it with yellow wax beans.


For dessert we decided to make apple cake. we have a lot of apples in our fridge and our groceries come tomorrow so apples were on my mind. I love apple cake, it is so nutritious and yummy at the same time. 5 cups of apples, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup of oil, 2 eggs, 2 tsp vamilla, 1 c whole wheat flour, 1 cup flour, 2 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp salt and you can add in 1 cup of nuts if you want. Bake for 50 minutes and top with

2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup milk, 1 tbsp flour, 1/3 cup powdered sugar. Yummy.

No comments: