This morning started off with one child staying home with the flu, another being dropped off and me receiving my ABA conference book. I eagerly poured through it, highlighting seminars that interest me and excitedly circling Stella's big debut as a researcher, presenting her research with Dr. Rapp (Super cool!!) At about 8:55 it struck me that I should glance at my day again just in case... I was confident that I was spending the day at home, afterall, it was my thesis research day. Despite this something nagged at me. At 8:56 it hit me - today the Benjamin Moore lady was coming to help me pick out my house colors. She was scheduled to arrive at 9:00 I hadn't showered yet, had no make up on and there was stuff all over the place. There wasn't much I could do other than brush down my hair before she arrived. My thesis research is spread from one end of the DR table to the other as DH has been and is still away and in order for me to work while managing children I need to work downstairs. There were a few kids books out on the LR couch but I guess it just looked homey.
After 2 years of attempting to choose colors but not being able to find colors I liked, I finally gave in and booked the color lady. Normally I have no problem choosing colors but this house eludes me. I was pleased to see that it was not just me and even the color lady had some difficulty. The problem lies with the builder. He choose a warm laminate, a cool toned carpet, muddy fireplace tiles and built this horrid big wall of niches. I hate that wall. I love my house, I looooove my kitchen but oh that wall of niches plagues me to no end. The color lady hated it too, she loved my design book and she was greatly appreciative of her latte. We became fast friends.
The good news is that she was able to pick out some great colors from our rug (which she loved) and we have created a great palette. We chose a color called Baffin island for the kitchen, Dunmore cream for the living room, entrance etc, Clinton brown for the fireplace and lower part of awful wall, georgian cream or wythe blue for the "front parlour" which is currently the tv room, cloud white for trim and doors (my favorite white color), White rock for what will soon be our school room (yay!!) and cloud white for my master bedroom. I love a white bedroom. Call me odd but I have a thing for whites done right.
My design book came in handy and I really like the colors she's chosen. I'm itching to call in the painters and get it done now! I will definitely use painters for most of the rooms... our ceilings are very high (over 10 feet) and I'm afraid of heights and we'd have to rent scaffolding anyways so it just seems easier. I've painted many a room in my time, I can do it just fine but I'll be honest, I'd rather not. Hiring painters might cost a bit more but I figure it this way, the number of hours it would take me to paint would be better spent earning money by working. I could make more than I'd save. (Nice justification eh?!)
Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Woo-hoo! Congrats on choosing paint colours:) I love the way freshly painted walls look...like they're telling me to do yoga and be zen.
snort! Love it! It is nice to move forward on SOMETHING as opposed to everything else in my crazy life!
Post a Comment