It it works don't fix it... but what if it don't work?
I am in flux. Or maybe I should say I was in flux. Sometimes crap happens. You can either sit back and put up with it or you can change a variable in your life and make it better. I did both.
I am an evaluator personality. I evaluate what is going on and if I like it, I move on, if I don't like it I stew about how to make it better. Sometimes the way to make it better is easy and sometimes it is not. Of course it isn't really "up to me" but what is given to me is the ability to make choices and that the better choice is provided to me if I will just listen. Of course, the better choice isn't always the easier choice. And so we've been making some changes, some little, some big. I am not going to get into all of them here as some are personal but I will mention a few.
Change #1 Getting a dog
I have been thinking on this for several years but life was just too hectic. Suddenly (after a different life change that has made a huge difference but is private) life felt manageable and I began to feel this pull towards doggie parenting. I looked at our lives, I looked at our time, our finances and our desires and found myself thinking that a dog would fit. I began to search, intending to take several months and found Albert. He's far from perfect but so am I and I embrace the challenges, the issues and the love. Knowing that we have provided a home to a dog that desperately needed a new family and provided comfort to someone who could not longer care for their companion is rewarding. The constant and adoring love we get from Albert seals the deal. He's a great addition.
Albert has changed my mornings. Every day after I drop the children off at school I take Albert for 30-60 minute walk on the dykes. Its quiet time for me but I enjoy Albert's company. We've been working on some training goals which are going well on the dykes but not so well on the streets of our neighborhood. I love a good challenge though and I love to problem solve about behavior so its enjoyable.
Change #2 Reducing my coffee intake
I'm far from excessive but I am trying to drink more green tea... simply because I drink my coffee latte style and the calories of the milk are showing up on my hips. I am taking some medications at the moment (temporary) but they seem to cause me to gain weight so I am trying to shave a bit off.
Change #3 Breakfast shakes
I am back to having breakfast shakes for my first meal most days. 2 scoops of nutrilean, 1 cup of frozen fruit, 1-2 tbsp of flax seeds and 1.25 cups of water. Sounds gross? Its not. So good!
Change #4 increase my water intake
Sad but true, I don't drink enough. So far I haven't really met this goal... its ongoing.
Change #5 exercise
I've fallen out of it a bit... my hip problems have been interfering in my life. But walking Albert has helped, skiing every other weekend is helping (except skiing makes me want to eat bad foods!!) and I am working with a trainer on some physio stuff for my hips for 60 minutes a week.
Change #6 More fruit and veggies
I hate dieting. Hate weight watchers. I used to like it but it has come to represent punishing conditions in my mind. I have given up on any type of "diet". Instead I am focussing on eating local foods, in fresh and natural forms, eating more beans and tofu and less meats and my newest addition... 1/2 of my plate must be fruit or vegetables at every meal.
Change #7 eat soup for lunch... or salad
I am having soup for lunch most days... vegetable soup or bean soup. If not soup, then salad but not lettuce salad! Lettuce isn't local at this time of year so I am apple carrot salad or apple peanut salad (okay peanuts aren't local either....), beet salad or cabbage slaw etc. Most days. Some days it falls apart. Lunch is my worst choice meal of the day. I tend to carb out at lunch and eat things that are fast and not very healthy. Boo.
Monday, March 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ahh, spring around the corner (fingers crossed) and change--seems they go hand-in-hand. Your morning shakes sound much better than the shakes for the 7-day cleanse I just completed...almost had to plug my nose. Berries and flax seed...love 'em both! I think I might have to give that a try.
Post a Comment