Monday, March 03, 2008

There is a vegetable in my roll

This morning I made Sweet Potato Crescent Rolls for breakfast. Actually I made and assembled them a few weeks ago but frozen them before the final rise. Yesterday I took them out of the freezer and let them defrost and rise and then baked them this morning. They are a bit like a cinnamon roll or sweet dough roll but with less sugar. I had intended to ice them but was too lazy this morning to make icing so just brushed them with butter and dusted with icing sugar. They turned out very well.

1 1/2 cups ww bread flour
1/4 c sugar
1 tbsp yeast
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp allspice

(combine in bowl)

1 cup sweet potatoes or pumpkin (I use pumpkin) cooked and mashed
1 c milk
1/4 c butter

combine in saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring until butter is melted and mixture is warm. Add to flour mixture. Beat with mixer set on low speed, scraping bowl often, until mixture is moistenend, 1-2 min.

1 large egg (beaten)
add and beat at medium speed for 3 minutes

1-2 1/2 cups bread flour

stir in flour by hand to make dough easy to handle. turn onto floured surcace and knead until smooth and elastic, about 7-9 minutes (I did this with my kitchen aid mixer instead). Place in greased bowl, turn to grease both sides, cover with a damp cloth and let rise until doubled in bulk. PUnch down dough and divide it in half. Roll each half of dough on lightly floured surfaced into a 12 inch circle

2 tbsp butter (melted)
Brush each circle with 1 tbsp butter. Cut into 12 wedges and tightly roll up each wedge from wide end to point. Place crescent rolls, point side down, on greased baking sheet. Cove rand let rise until doubled. Bake at 375 until golden brown, 10-12 minutes.

Yum.

From Simply in Season: Recipes that celebrate fresh, local foods in the spirit of More With Less by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert

1 comment:

T. said...

Sounds SOOO Yummy. So going to try it!