Thursday, February 07, 2008

Woof

We've been thinking about adding a dog to our family for about 1.5 years... we originally thinking small but I am just not a huge fan of small dogs. We pondered it last year but simply had way too much going on. For some reason this year it seems much more doable. I was thinking about it in the fall a bit and then about 2 months ago it really hit home while playing with a friend's dog. Honestly I think I might have gone insane to think about dogs again, our last dog was a bit disturbed... poor gal. We adopted her from the SPCA and she had issues. But we also didn't have the emotional energy to provide her what she needed as our lives went into complete chaos at the same time.

So what type of dog am I thinking? Fluffy, cute adorable puppies with big paws and big eyes? No. As DH put it "of course you don't want cute puppies, you've found yourself some waifs with sad lives to rescue them from. I'm surprised you didn't find some decrepit senior citizen that no one else wants?!" To which I replied (honestly) "Well that is actually what I was looking for but the only senior I found had a history of aggression so he was out." I'm obsessed with the rescue approach and have been talking to several rescue organizations. I have three candidates at the moment, 2 of whom have had sad lives and have torn at my heart strings. The first is Rocky, a Maremma who is fearful of men after a history of abuse.



He's made great progress with a foster family and a trainer and he loves cats. He likes to cuddle with cats!! And he is great with kids. It is a very neat breed actually! The second is a beautiful husky girl who was run hit by a car, broke her hip and then gave birth to 12 puppies 3 days later.




3 puppies died and she was apparently malnourished at the time. So sad! She wasn't able to stand for 3 weeks but has a doggie physio at her shelter and apparently she is doing well. She'll never be able to be vigorous but will enjoy exercise. She's super pretty and apparently very sweet. I've emailed for more info but haven't heard back yet. And finally, a possible normal puppy with no issues... 6 month weimaraner who was adopted as a puppy but something happened to his owner and needs a new home.



Logically choice number 3 is probably the best choice for everyone but I can't help but be drawn to the sad stories.... We'll see what happens! I hadn't mentally prepared for a puppy and had myself convinced that some old senior citizen dog was what we needed so we'll see. Clearly I need a good shake if I am thinking of ADDING something to my life. I love animals though. My cats give me so much joy and have done so much for alleviating my stress levels. One more creature to love would be nice. Am I crazy?

4 comments:

Magnificent M said...

Oh I should mention that Rocky is WHITE. I love WHITE. It is my favorite "color'. Seriously. White! But I love the smokey grey color of the weims too... Ultimately you can not choose a dog cuz its pretty though :-)

T. said...

Rocky is gorgeous!! I'm a fan of the white too. Though it may be a while before I could consider a dog after my experience in MA.

Lindsey and Mike said...

I vote the puppy! (but they are so much work I might just have to chnage my vote later) But for now I vote the adorable little puppy!

Magnificent M said...

Yeah, he's no puppy anymore. He's only 6 months but the size of a full grown female! I don't think I have enough energy or sanity for the puppy. He's beautiful but puppy = several years of craziness. Man he's beautiful though.

I am meeting the husky, whose name is Beautiful, this weekend.