Sunday, February 03, 2008

Where's the Beef?

On friday night we had some very delicious fajitas. We used some President's meatless beef strips that we marinated briefly in a cilantro mix and then sauteed. We had sauteed peppers, onions and carrots with it and Ale made some guacamole and fresh salsa with it. This clearly took us out of the 100 mile diet but it was goooooood. The meatless beef was fantastic!! It looked exactly like strips of steak, the texture was bang on and it simply tasted of fajita. And the bonus of it was no pieces of fat or gristle or other nasties that come with real meat! I forgot to mention that it was veg to Justin and he ate the entire meal and just assumed it was meat. Here is a picture of the chickenless strips... similar the beef but I haven't tried these yet. You can find them in Superstore near the deli section in the refrigerator case that has the tofu products.



We had lots of leftover guacamole and salsa and tortillas so I decided to make tacos on saturday. Unfortunately I realized that I was out of veggie ground so I decided to make the tacos with beans this time. The recipe called for kidneys but I went with pintos instead. I recently found a great, no effort way to cook beans from dry in my crockpot so I set that up in the morning. Before dinner I sauteed some onion and garlic with spices and then added the perfectly cooked beans and water. This simmered for a while and when the liquid was absorbed I added some leftover brown rice. I also made my favorite cabbage slaw to substitute for the lettuce. This recipe has lime juice in it and goes well with spicy foods. We skipped the cheese. It was fantastic! The beans were really good and I love having the cabbage slaw in tacos.

Here is a link for the slaw

Martha serves it alongside shredded pork tacos (a very good recipe that I make regularly I might add) but I like it in the tacos. It eliminates the need for extras like cheese or sour cream in my opinion. I also leave out the radishes usually as they are too much effort.

No comments: