Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Merry Christmas!

Christmas has come and gone. This Christmas I tried something new, I let go of the reigns a bit and just relaxed. I didn't do a tonne of baking, we didn't do much entertaining, we didn't attend even half of the events we were invited to and we did minimal shopping. What we did do was relax, let it just happen and spent lots of time together. In the end I completed all of my Christmas shopping with minimal mall time, almost no time in lines and with very little stress. I didn't get the tree decorated until the 23rd but I came to enjoy it in its natural, God given beauty and didn't mind the lack of bling. I didn't bake cookies but I didn't eat any either and my waistline is happy about that. I did make truffles and marshmallows and nuts and other treats but I made them with a friend and enjoyed some social time while doing it. We had a great family dinner on Christmas eve. I tried some new recipes and made a prime rib roast, roast potatoes and mushrooms, a shallot brandy cream sauce, leek and gruyere bread pudding, glazed root vegetables and apples with saffron and for dessert. The reviews were excellent so I think dinner was a hit. After church we had port, olives, cheese and crisps and enjoyed relaxing. This year I let DH wrap the presents in the hideous red and green papers and I didn't let the tackiness get to me. Although I missed the pretty white paper with beautiful ribbon, I was just happy to not have to wrap them all and to sit back and enjoy some social time instead. Christmas day was a relaxed, peaceful event with the kids opening presents and us relaxing with eggnog lattes. I simply put out some meats, cheeses, breads and fruit and people helped themselves throughout the morning. Having had our big meal the night before, I didn't have to spend any time cooking or baking and was able to simply enjoy hanging out. It was a very nice Christmas and without all of the hubbub we were able to really focus on what really mattered - family, love, hope and the gift that started it all. Here's hoping that everyone else had a great Christmas as well.

No comments: