Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I'm surrounded by Mutton

We had a great weekend complete with a day in Naramata and lunch at a favorite winery restaurant, and several great meals with friends. I cooked from the Barefoot Contessa and was mildly pleased with the recipes but found a few of them to be a bit too "saucy" for my tastes. We had a few great dinners though including a greek fiesta made by Stella and the prawn dinner I blogged about previously. We played several rounds of Catan and despite having consumed several glasses of Sangria, I managed to win 1 round.

Last week I had to remind myself that summer was over and that school was about to start. Despite these reminders I remained in denial and suddenly realized on Monday while driving home from Osoyoos that I would have to actually take the kids to school the next day. I then retreated back to denial until this morning when I found myself in the school driveway getting annoyed in a somewhat unchristian way at the people who think they are above the parking lot rules in our ridiculously over-crowded, inefficient school parking lot. I finally managed to find a spot to park and then dropped my children off at their doorway, chatted with parents and then headed off to work. I was dreading the return to school moment as I love having my children home and love the supposed freedom that summer promises but never seems to actually bring. That said, once dropped off, I felt a certain freedom in the fact that for the next 6.5 hours my children were not my responsibility.... ahhh I can practically smell the freedom of being able to get my work done.... sweet. I worked, took a lunch break and went to the gym and then worked some more. Its crunch time for me, back to school means producing individualized education plans for all of my clients which means client program reviews, researching academic goals and doing a year's worth of long term planning for each client. At 2:47 I suddenly realized I needed to pick up my kids and the dream of massive work completion was over.

Tonight promises to be a very long night with tonnes of things to be finished before tomorrow and not enough hours to do them. My very understanding husband has made fish for dinner from a recipe he found in a "wine magazine" (?!) so I guess I'd better stop blogging so that I can go and try this new creation. I must admit, it doesn't smell good but I appreciate his efforts, support and general understanding so am going to go and try it out. Wish me luck

4 comments:

Magnificent M said...

Although the smell was slightly suspect, DH made a fabulous dinner. Grilled halibut with sesame seeds, spaghetti squash, sliced tomatoes and a spicy orange/soy/hot pepper sauce. The sauce was supposed to be made with a jalapeno but DH was slightly excited about the collection of hot pepper he bought in Keremeos yesterday and subbed in some ridiculously hot miniature pepper so the sauce had a lot of zip. The zip clashed with the wine but overall it was extremely impressive! I love my man!

Michelle said...

Wow - I can't get my dh to BBQ even so you are a very lucky woman! Although S can make a mean batch of pancakes and yummy brownies.

Magnificent M said...

DH wasn't much of a cook but when I used to use my Sandy Richard cookbook (love her!) he got into it on some nights when I was away. He realized that a) he can read a recipe and not shrivel up and die, b) it is tastier when the recipe tells you what to do and c) cooking large quantities of meat and throwing it with noodles does NOT equal a good meal. And from there he has actually learned to cook a decent meal.

This last one was a spark of pure creativity and to be honest I have NO idea what was the spark and if I did, I'd bottle it and use it regularly. Chances are he was looking for a reason to have chardonnay either that or a reason to use the ridiculously hot pepper (which by the way BURNED his hand and he had a horrible burning feeling all night! Yes, lets eat something that burns your skin... mmmm yummm. note sarcasm).

Magnificent M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.