Sunday, August 05, 2007

Crocodile tales

I found a housesitter and we are in Osoyoos again... I know, its getting a bit repetitive! That is because we are spending most of our weekends here. Why? Osoyoos has become our retreat from life. For me, staying home means that inevitably I find myself at my computer working. Justin is no better than I and can also be found at his computer. This is not to say we don't spend time together as a family, we do. We go to Alouette Lake, or to the pool, to the movies or just hang out at home. But the work, the laundry, the errands, they all take up some of that family time and I find at home I have to work family time into the schedule to ensure it happens. In Osoyoos there are no distractions and famly time is all that is on the schedule. There is nowhere we have to be, nothing we have to do. I don't check my email and I don't usually do any work (although I am doing a bit of writing this weekend). Justin doesn't do any work. What laundry there is to do is minimal. Our "home" is small and there is very little stuff so clutter is non-existent. We have a wardrobe up here and we leave all of our stuff so there is no packing on either end. There are no errands, no shopping and no phone calls. It is almost responsibility free. When we are here we can focus on our kids, although they are often off playing with their friends or swimming or building sand castles. We can focus on each other and will spend hours sitting on lawnchairs next to each other reading, talking or just doing nothing (which is a good thing!).

Last night our complex had a family party and it was lots of fun. It was a potluck event so we took our shredded pork tacos. It was BYOB so we brough a white wine sangria with local peaches and it was lovely. Everyone sat out on the grass outside of the clubhouse and enjoyed great food while getting to know neighbors. We made some new friends and apparently so did the kids as they were off playing with various kids in the pool the entire evening. There were door prizes and we won an inflatable crocodile, which was funny because I have been wanting to buy the kids one of those for 2 years but DH felt we had "enough" floaties.... and he was right, we have air mattresses, a floaty small raft and "surfboards". Its a 3 bedroom condo so one has to think about storage!!! But now we have WON the croc so I don't have to feel like I've bought something excessive. Its a 2 person floatie too which somehow increases the excitement - no bickering!!

The sunscreen bottle is calling me - its a beautiful day and my family is getting ready to go to the beach, time to put on my bikini and start pumping the croc! I love summer!

No comments: