Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Objectionable content

Ahhh Facebook... it can suck up time like a thirsty sponge. It connects you will all sorts of people that you never thought you'd see again. It can bring people back to your life like the cat in that annoying song that you can never get rid of!

So what do you do when you've got someone who you aren't sure you want to reconnect with about to find out about your existence on facebook? I have a friend who I've recently added. I like her. I just looked at her friends however and spotted somone who knows me but whom I have managed to fade out of my life. It took a fair amount of effort to fade that relationship. I'd like to say "she's a nice person but..." however the BUT is that she and I live extremely different lives. She was never someone I was friends with, just one of those unfortunate connections that occur that you can't quite shake and are never quite sure how the connection happened in the first place. A friend of a friend who is married to someone you barely know. Among other things, she is one of those people who likes to send out unwelcomed porn. By porn I literally mean porn. (Am I the only one who has had this JOYOUS experience? I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT!!! I am shouting, sorry. Why do people do that??! And who the hey actually wants that nasty stuff!!??) What she does in her own time is her own business but I am just not comfortable with the details. I am not a saint but I have a preference for things like monogamy in marriage, fairly clean living and hey, Christian family values. That is just me... everyone else is welcome to make their own choices. I will try not to judge. Just please, spare me the porn.

So what do I do if she spots me and requests we be friends? I don't know if I have the spine to reject friendship. Do I give it a shot and then put my foot down when the porn arrives? And be forewarned, I can't be held responsible for things that may or may not show up on my wall. i need a filter, a buffer... something!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

OK, wait, Porn? She actually means to send you porn? It's not just spam that forwards itself from her computer? Wow. Scary.

As for Facebook, I think the best answer (if she requests to be your friend) is to ignore it. Don't reject her but maybe you can claim ignorance (as in you never saw the request or something). Or you can just right out reject her if you want. I prefer the passive agressive stance myself - LOL.

Good luck!

T. said...

I want to find out what the other person sees when you reject them? Does it show up in their news feed? "T. rejected M. request for friendship." That would be pretty brutal. Maybe they just don't get a response...no idea.

And yes, I have had that experience...with the porn. It just makes me think "Do you know me at ALL?" Ch-Choo on the email porn.

Magnificent M said...

Yes, there are actually people who intentionally send out porn... perhaps thinking that others actually want to receive it? Honestly I have never understood it. I am no fan of porn. And no it is not accidentally sent out, it is very much intentional. She also posts some nasties on people's walls on facebook. For example would you like to see a drawing (using symbols from your keyboard) that is the shape of male genitalia? Yes, something I'd love to have on my wall. Oh my word. Let's pray that she doesn't recognize my name as I have my maiden name instead of my family name. I will definately try the ignorance is bliss approach though...

Magnificent M said...

ch-choo is right! What is with that? I mean WHO actually wants porn? I guess the people who send it do... lets start sending something reforming back. We need a good "smack you in the face" christian document to send back to these people. yeesh.

Magnificent M said...

ohhh, somebody ask to be my friend, and I'll reject you just so you can report back to me as to what happens when you do that and then we can actually become friends after that... :-)

Lindsey and Mike said...

If worst comes to worst, you could always put it so she can only see your "limited profile" (in your 'privacy settings'). I'm not 100% sure what that does, haven't had to use it yet...but if people from highschool keep adding me, I may have to:)

Good luck!

4ever29 said...

Some mom's at the kids school did the "What happens when you reject a friend" test and it does nothing. So worst case scenario is that the reject will maybe forgot that they asked you to be a friend and may do it again. Good luck!

Magnificent M said...

ahhhh sweet I am so going to reject then! thanks 4ever29!

L - I have a few people on limited profile, they just see less of your stuff. But they can still post on your wall. Stella and another friend of mine are on high alert to call my cell if male genitalia appears on my wall :-) LOL!