Monday, May 07, 2007

"It's not the tragedies that kill us, it's the messes."

-Dorothy Parker

A few weeks ago I was at wit's end - stressed out, flustered, frazzled, behind in all work and home business and felt as though I was at a breaking point. After some reflection I came to the conclusion that I would feel a bit better if life simply wasn't so chaotic. Being a woman of extremes, I briefly contemplated quitting my job and moving far, far away but DH reminded me that I work so that we can afford to pay my son's medical bills and that moving far away was not an option for us. Plan B was to try and get a million and one things done so that life was more organized and the house felt more like home. For the past 2 weekends we have been a whirlwind of activity, starting and completing projects and buying and assembling furniture. The process isn't quite complete but a lot has been achieved. Throughout it all, my trusty Jetta has been amazing. Last weekend I drove down to sumas to pick up my pottery barn order. I should have taken the SUV but DH wanted to pick up some gardening supplies so I headed out in the Jetta. At Ship Happens I realized I was in trouble when the woman emerged with a large cart filled with incredibly large boxes. I remembered then that Pottery Barn tends to overpack all of their items. Sure enough there were several boxes that were too large to fit in my car. Although my jetta is not a hatchback, the back seats do fold down (who knew??!) making a long flat space and allowing for a considerable amount of cargo. I was able to squeeze in all of the boxes - just!!!! This bad black baby has been filled literally to the roof with various cargo over the past few weeks (recycling, Ikea, Garden supplies, more Ikea)... and with split seat I was even able to fill it with Ikea goods and the children at the same time. I am impressed by its versatility. And here I was thinking of selling my Jetta... crazy talk.

2 comments:

4ever29 said...

I am currently experiencing Pottery Barn envy!

Magnificent M said...

All I bought was the wall organizer system (whiteboard calendars, mail bins etc) and a hutch for my bedford desk. Hard to imagine that this stuff would fill up an entire car! The wall organizer looks great though and the hutch really makes the desk.