Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Lets do lunch

I had a great lunch with a friend whose company I really enjoy. I've been squeezing in a lot of lunch dates lately. It is nice to have some time with friends and it always reminds me that I should do more of that. The trick is fitting it in with the rest of life. We always seem so busy and it is not uncommon for the week to zoom by and for me to forget to make the effort. DH and I are both fairly social when forced to be but we also really, really, like our private time together. Spending time alone with him is such a great way for us to reconnect at the end of a busy day and when we don't have our time together we miss it desperately. One of my favorite times is when my house is quiet and DH and I curl up on the couch and just talk. After 13 years of togetherness I can honestly say that while I don't mind sacrificing our alone time occasionally, I couldn't miss out on it regularly. He is my best friend and I can never seem to get enough time with him. Most days anyways... lol!

There are aspects of our life that we share with some but not with others. It can be difficult for those we know to relate to some of the issues in our lives and sometimes it is easier to just leave those issues out. At the same time, when you do that it becomes harder to get to know someone because, really, they don't actually know all of you. Sometimes I think about letting down some of the walls but then sometimes I think about times when I've let those walls down and it has backfired. And when it backfires, it really backfires! We had one of those experiences recenty and I am still paying for it.

I am fortunate that I do have two very special friendships where I can completely be myself, share every detail and always feel supported. Both of these women understand the aspects of my life and live many of those same aspects themselves. Spending time with them is always comfortable and I never have to worry about what I can and cannot share when I am with them. I leave our times together feeling refreshed, energized and calm at the same time. It is always amazing to think of how God brings what/who we need into our lives and helps to keep what/who we do not need out of our lives.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I'm sorry that something backfired when you showed part of yourself. That is horrible when that happens. I understand completely.

For my part, what you've shown to me, maybe it was just a small part, I thought was a very special person. When you've emailed me with support on things or talked to me you couldn't even imagine how much understanding you showed me and how happy I was to know that maybe I wasn't the only one in the world going through the stuff I went through.

Anyway, not sure any of that makes sense to you but I wanted you to know I am thankful I met you.

Magnificent M said...

thanks Michelle, you are so sweet! I didn't mean for the backfired part to be the focus of my post... it was something that happened and it was yucky but I guess that is life. We learn a lot from the yucky stuff!!! I am just so glad that I have some really great people in my life, including people like you who I am getting to know. God brings what we need into our lives... its a humbling thought!