Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Just blame the penguins

I've had a couple of doozy comments from my kids over the last 48 hours. The first three are due to DH and the kids unsupervised decision to rent a documentary for the week. Our kids watch very limited tv, only watching 30 minutes max each day and usually we watch segments of a movie during that time. This week, Antartica. DH loves a good documentary. Sigh. I've noticed in my 15+ years with DH and therefore exposure to way too many documentries that an animal documentary isn't a documentary without a predator scene, a sex scene and a scene with blood. The predator scene was mild. Bird stole an egg, next scene egg is cracked open. Phew. Next comes the sex scene, sure enough Gorilla turns to me and says "why does that penguin keep standing on the other penguin?" I decide to avoid the truth on this one and say "gee I don't know, that doesn't seem very nice does it!". Finally the blood scene, imagine an extremely large seal on the ice and then suddenly, blood and oh yes, there it is, a baby seal... and this comment "gross! what is wrong with that seal?!" I explain that it is having a baby to which Gorilla replies "Out of its stomach? Sick!" Shortly afterwards there is a scene with this seal who is trying to nurse. Gorilla says to me "Why is that seal lickin that seal's butt?!" and then laughs hysterically. I attempt to explain that it is not the seal's butt but my explanation is lost in the sea of hilarity. I decide to give up. Stupid Antartica movie.

But the last question is the doozy. The last question isn't actually from the movie but I am going to blame the penguins anyways, "hey mom, what is a lesbian?" Oy. Who taught these kids to talk anyways??!!!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I've got all kinds of replies to this but none which come off well in writing! LOL

Ya gotta love penguins! :-)

Lindsey and Mike said...

Thanks for the heads-up. When I have children I doubt they will be watching any of these so-called "documentaries". Seems nothing but awkward questioning comes from them.

4ever29 said...

You can learn a lot from video games too. My favorite is when my kids ask D why there is "ketchup" on the skateboaders in the Tony Hawk game.

Mike H said...

Documentaries are tame. I'm with 4ever29, it's the violence in video games that are the current downfall of child civilisation. Not the mating habits of animals in Antartica.

Magnificent M said...

we have a few videogames, although our most violent one is probably our hockey one... so far I haven't had to answer any sex ed questions after a gamecube session though. Tonight I have opted to return to a regular movie. I've had enough with reality!