On Sunday I had a date with Gorilla over lunch. When Gorilla is in a good mood, he is a tonne of fun. He's been a tonne of fun alot lately.
My second hot date was last night with my DH. There is some large mining convention here in town so I met up with DH at the Westin Bayshore to accompany him to a few social events. First on the list was a cocktail party where I encountered a man eating way too many chicken strips. (DH's friend informed that he sees this man every year at this event eating a plate mounded with chicken strips. Interresting.) I had the "pleasure" of listening to a riveting speech about resource management in the Yukon (wahoo!!), and enjoyed a nice glass of wine, some lovely appies and chatted with some of DH's work friends.
Next we headed out for FANTASTIC japanese food at Hapa something or other and shared a huge amount of great food. Debate ensued about whether geologists were of the same mindset as engineers... being the only non-geologist/engineer/biologist at the table, the debate seemed comical. But I did remind myself that we psychology freaks have the same debates and that they are equally mundane and ridiculous so just sat back and observed behaviors. There was a bit of shop talk but I expect shop talk at these things so just smiled and had a good time. Dinner was on someone else's tab so that made it even more enjoyable.
We then headed over to something called "Yukon night" which turned out to be a frat house party with grown men. If you are looking for a man, yukon night is the place to be. There were: Men with beards, men with pony tails, Men with expensive suits, Men wearing inexpensive suits, Men in outdoor gear, a select few men who looked groomed and city like, lots of men who looked like they'd flown in from the bush (and they likely had) and a small nummber of young women wearing typical student gear. And a few of us wives. Everyone was carrying beer. Everyone but me. I hate beer. It was crowded, hot, loud, the beer was in plastic cups and there was some sort of meat fest happening in the middle of the room. The wall to wall men holding beer made me think I was going to get a cup of beer spilled on me so I avoided the meat, which seemed to be what all of the men were attracted to. We didn't stay at Yukon night for long, just stopped to talk to more of Dh's friends from the Yukon and NWT before heading out. Rock on. Despite the frat house memory flashback, it was still lots of fun. I think the highlight of the evening was meeting the lovely Christian woman who took care of my DH after his accident. She visited him daily, brought him books to read and gave him a cute stuffy.
Hot date indeed! Fun though. Its always fun to meet some new people and socialize a bit!
Tuesday, January 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
That sounds fun - I love japanese food, especially on someone elses tab. Glad you had some hot dates!
You are too funny! I wish that I could have been a fly on the wall at your DH's party. Will you be serving chicken strips on Friday?
4ever29... ha ha ha! no. No chicken strips I'm afraid. It was an interresting event for sure!
Mpuff: you would have loved this japanese food -too good. We should go for a ladies night or something!!! truly fantastic stuff.
Hey, that Japanese food was likely the same stuff that Aerosmith had catered. It's apparently their favourite, (and they've been lots of places...) and so I took note when I found that out so I could try it. Unfortunately I was too starstruck to remember the whole name but I too remember the "Hapa" part... I'll have to get there someday.
Yukon Night sounds rad!
Amanda, it was incredible! Very unique and yummy. The place was super swank and cool too -funky, a bit modern and very "robson". The food was very different from your standard california roll! You guys should go on a hot date of your own!!! skip the yukon night part though, ha ha ha!
Post a Comment