Sunday, December 17, 2006

Finito!

On monday I panicked - Christmas is fast approaching and I had not even started my shopping. I decided to take the day off on tuesday and try to get my shopping done. DH came with me and it was like shopping with a baby or a toddler, you have grand intentions but the unplanned for events prevent you from getting anything accomplished. (Not that DH was whining or anything, just that we didn't get much done!!!). Tuesday 8:30 p.m. true panic set in - No purchases had been made and the day had been wasted. I checked the Pottery Barn Teen deadlines, I could squeak in under the wire and get some bedding sent. Done. Saturday morning my beloved friend who equally values efficiency calls to see if we are indeed doing coffee... we toss around a few ideas and then she informs me that the malls are open till 9:00 pm and some stores are open till midnight. A plan is hatched - we get a coffee and we shop. Now I must say that there are few people in the world that I can actually shop with. Oh sure, I can browse with almost anyone and have fun, but truly shop, with a mission, a purpose and a mandate? No. That takes a very special person. Qualities? Value of efficiency, live by the go in and get out policy, willing to zip into odd locations without browsing in a million other places.

We started out at around 7:00, hit starbucks (coffee, efficiency.... they go together) and then headed to the mall which was shockingly not that busy. We headed to a few specific stores, sharing commentary on the inappropriate clothing marketed to young girls and picking up items. Next was Hon's... time for some soup, some noodles and potstickers. Technically this was a deviation from the plan but one needs fuel when power shopping. Next Toys R Us where I happily completed my ENTIRE shopping list.

The go in, immerse myself and be done with it approach is just my style. I threw my wedding together in 6 weeks and it was (in my humble opinion) beautiful. I guess I just don't have that plan for an extended period of time type approach. I'm busy, life happens and I just throw myself in and ba-boom I am done. Not to say I throw it together haphazardly... my wedding was exactly what I wanted, everyone we invited was there, the venue was great and the food amazing. Same with Christmas. I know what everyone needed, I had a plan in my head (formed while driving from client to client) and we ordered some gifts via internet.

It is nice to be done the shopping, now I can just make the gifts that need to be made.

2 comments:

4ever29 said...

Glad to hear about your successful shopping. How did the candy making go?

T. said...

Such a good feeling!! You're amazing with your "dive in and get it all done at once" ability!