Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Warning: Sharing ahead

Those who know me well know I am not one to share my feelings, emotions or problems very often. If you have seen my inner psyche you must be special or unlucky, depending on how you look at it. I am about to share a few details but know that I am not going to want to share any more than what is on the blog and I'm not going to want to talk about it in person if you happen to run into me. I don't do emotional in public. That is saved for DH and for God. Both of whom have seen many episodes.

My mother is not well. She has not been well for several years but became seriously ill 1.5 years ago. My father has a full time nurse who works at their home during the day. On evenings and weekends he takes care of my mother.

Yesterday while at work, my cell phone rang. I reserve my cell phone for emergencies. My job is simply not the type of job where personal phone calls while working is acceptable. So I knew when it rang that there must be an emergency. DH informed me that my dad was in the emergency room. Apparently he had injured his back. Although it was by no means a major injury and he will be fine, I couldn't help but think on the drive from White Rock to Burnaby General about all the things that could happen and what on earth would I do if those things did happen?

While I have put my back out many times, I could see when I arrived that my Dad was in much worse shape. The short version is they gave him morphine but he was still in extreme pain. I had to help him dress, which is one of those experiences that makes you realize your parents are not infallible, and then take him to my car in a wheel chair. I drove him home, went and filled his perscription and Connie (full time nurse) promised to take good care of him. He shooed us out of the room and I left. It was almost 10:00 pm at this point. He will be fine, I know that, but the whole event served as a reminder to me how precarious everything is.

I have some prayer requests for you... the first is that you would pray that my Dad will have a speedy recovery. My second prayer request is related to my mother. We are currently looking for a residential care facility for her as she is reaching the point where she can not remain at home. I would ask that you pray that a spot in a good, safe facility will open up quickly and that this transition will go smoothly for everyone.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Will be saying prayers for you and your family.

Lindsey and Mike said...

I wish I could do something more tangible to help, but all I have to offer are my prayers so you can be sure I'll be sending up extras for you all.

4ever29 said...

I'm praying too.

Anonymous said...

M,
I've know you for a decade.
And I feel like I know some of the real you-mask put aside.
I just want to remind you that I love you deeply-and care for your family.
I will say many prayers for you- and all your family.
Please call me and I can offer distraction through filling you in on my life- if that would relieve some of the stress.
All My Love and Prayers,
MO

Magnificent M said...

thanks everyone for the prayers...

Mo, you have been there for me many times and were always one of the most reliable and supportive people during the very worst time for me. I think you are one of those people who I can actually take the mask off for. Thanks :-) (you guys should come over for dinner SOON!)

The good news is that my Dad called last night to say he was feeling better and apparently Connie has been able to stay overnight so far. My focus now is on making things easier in his life.