Yesterday I made turkey dinner. I used Martha's recipe for Maple Turkey but substituted dry white wine for the water. I made cranberry stuffing, mashed potatoes, green beans and cranberry compote and of course gravy. I had high expectations of this turkey. While fanatically basting it every 15 minutes with maple syrup I dreamed of the moment I would bite in and for the first time in my life actually enjoy the turkey. (I hate turkey). I thought surely all of the wine and maple syrup would mask the turkey-ness. Sadly, it was not to be. The turkey, although tender and rather attractive, tasted like turkey. (surprised??!). The stuffing was good, the mashed potatoes very good. The gravey was so so. I was disappointed. I have come to a final decision, I hate turkey.
I also hate eggs. I have tried, ferociously, to like them. I have had them every which way and almost came to like a certain fritatta in the summer. Alas, the fight has been in vain. A recent frittata experience confirmed I simply hate eggs.
I did however learn that I sort of like pecan pie. I have lived all of my 29+ years without trying pecan pie. I decided that I would rather try this then make pumpking pie (which I am not a huge fan of) and having had an apple pie last week, didn't think I was up to repeating the experience. I looked at the recipe and saw corn syrup, brown sugar, eggs (ew) and pecans... DH confirmed that it tasted somewhat like the pecan sundae at DQ which I love so I was sold. Substitute maple syrup for the corn syrup and the results were yummy. I like it. I found it to be a bit, well, eggy.
And finally, it appears that I might be allergic to espresso. I think there is a certain irony in the fact that I finally obtained an espresso maker only to potentially not be able to drink it. Now that I own one, I am drinking it daily. A week ago I was at a colleague's house (she has no kids and her house was immaculate and beautifully reno'd, cool, sophisticated and stylish - like her and I was in awe) and she was telling me about how she had this unfortunate and new allergy to coffee and how it just about killed her to cut it out. I made some sort of "sucks to be you" type comment thinking smugly, "gee I'm glad that isn't me!". A few days later, battling the same eczema for weeks, I pondered what I had been consuming regularly that might be the cause... milk? hmm, no haven't been having that regularly except in my.... crud. There it is. I cut the coffee out... and sure enough stupid rash is clearing up. Good times people. Ah well, it could be worse, I could be allergic to red wine.
Trick or treating is going on... 2 for you, one for me. Not helping the waistline! and I still have NOT gone to the gym. so much for motivation by public shame.
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
My heart is breaking for you right now. How can one live with no coffee? I will pray for some kind of healing of this absolutely devastaing reaction that you are having to espresso :)
thank you for all your prayers, I think I need it. I am dying, I mean DYING for a latte this morning... all crisp and cold and me in need of a wakeup...
NO Coffee?! Ack! I am so sorry. I will be saying prayers too. Seriously, that is a travesty. I think I'd almost (I say almost) rather be allergic to chocolate. At least I don't need it to get through my day (well, not most days! LOL)
Oh. My. Word. I can't believe you night be allergic to coffee! That's horrible!!! I am so sorry.
And I'm sad to hear about turkey because I'm a huge turkey fan. I love any holiday that involves turkey. I hear that tastebuds change every 7 years so maybe when a multiple of 7 comes around maybe you'll find yourself indulging in that bird with joy instead of trying to choke it down.
I'm sending up prayers with the rest of them:)
I love eating turkey. Not big on the cooking of it, though. Did you ever hear Stella's story about her attempts at cooking her first turkey after we were married? Funny stuff. I am laughing just thinking about it.
That coffee thing really bites. My brother-in-law is alergic to coffee, only deathly so. Apparently he used to love coffee and then one day just swelled up and almost choked to death (I may be exagerating slightly) and discouvered that he had developed an alergy over night.
Your reaction isn't all that bad, right? Just a rash? Myself, I would probably endure my entire body being all itchy and rashy just to have that first cup. That said, Stella probably wouldn't let me. ;)
Can you switch to some kind of caffeinated tea? Are we going to change your nick name to "Morning Thunder"?
"Jerry drinks Morning Thunder."
"But Morning Thunder has caffeine in it. Jerry doesn't drink caffeine."
"Jerry doesn't know it has caffeine."
...
Heh.
ha ha ha! am totally laughing. I don't remember morning thunder, what episode??
Season 3, Episode 3: The Dog
Jerry gets stuck looking after an uncooperative dog for a week. Elaine and George see a movie without Jaerry and realize they have nothing in common but Jerry. Jerry and Elaine are not far fans of Kramer's new girlfriend.
The part I quoted is from the scene where Elaine and George are in the coffee house together after the movie without Jerry. They keep trying to talk about things but the only thing that they can discuss is Jerry.
Post a Comment