Wow, what a weekend, lots to be thankful for. We drove to our condo on thursday. We were supposed to leave in the a.m but being a workaholic, I couldn't get away from the ball and chain. Swore I wasn't taking it with me... but I did but I never opened the computer bag. Yay me! Drive was beautiful and uneventful. Osoyoos was quiet, not many tourists there but lots of people in our development were up. Friday, Dh and I drove to Penticton, had lunch in Naramata at our favorite place, enjoyed a glass of wine and did a few tastings and then checked into our hotel. We started off the evening by going to a HUGE wine tasting event... 40 wineries each with several varieties and the only food being served was bread, pate and cheese. Despite my best efforts, the wine got to my head. I found a table with salami and pepperoni and although these aren't the best accompaniment to wine, I stocked up and grazed in an attempt to get some protein in to address my woozy head.
At 9:00 pm our big yellow school bus arrived with our free ride to Blasted Church and off we went... I was incredibly excited! We arrived and headed down to stand in line to get... yes, a glass of wine. I was not really into yet another glass of wine so I accepted it and dragged it around with me for a long time. DH and I headed into the barrel room to find candles everywhere, and we staked out our spot at the front of the room right by the stage... the mosh pit area if one was not at a Gospel event. We decided we would create the gospel mosh pit.
The music was fantastic!!!! the singers were from the u.s. originally but all live in Vancouver. I was completly uplifted and inspired! I was there for the music, the food and wine were irrelevant for me. I drank a lot of water and rocked the mosh. DH and I had a good laugh though... it was a very "WHITE" event and typical of anglo saxon's, the crowd stood there, calmly staring at the band with absolutely no expression. HOW can you not be moved to PRAY-ISE THE LORD!!!! when listening to gospel? I mean some of these people barely even tapped a toe?! It was weird. At the end of the night, one of the singers actually came over and thanked us for being in the front row and we had a nice conversation. Inspired, uplifted, filled with praise, completely sober again (phew!)I suggested to DH that we find a good Gospel church to attend once a month in addition to our regular church and he agreed. The search is on...
We hopped back on the bus and had an enjoyable, moonlit drive back to our hotel. The next day we had a lakeview breakfast, bought some cheese from Poplar Grove and went for a lakeside walk and then to a farmers market. We drove back, heading to Hawthorne Mountain for a lunch in the vineyard and then back to reality. The rest of the time was family time... the kids swam in the pool (still warm enough?!!!) and we went for a nice fall drive. DH and I had a brief escape to the hot tub late one night, taking in the stars, the view of the lake and sinking into HOT water while surrounded by cold air. I love my wonderful DH! We have so much fun together doing "nothing". We share our dreams, our passions and our thoughts and I am so thankful that he is in my life.
We did not have turkey but I think we will do one when DH returns from his trip to the Yukon (ya, he's gone again). I'm no fan of the big bird but I think I will try Martha's recipe this year... lots of butter and a bottle of wine...? how can you go wrong!!!
Tuesday, October 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Sounds like you had an amazing time. I think I've mentioned before that our friends own the Naramata Inn and we so love it up there. We will definitely have to take in this Blasted Church next time. It sounds great.
PS: Your email says that my ISP is a known spammer (very bad Telus!!) so it keeps sending back my emails in response to yours this am. I tried hotmail instead I think.
so I fully didn't read that post all the way through since I'm just skimming before I go back to school, but I think I read that you drank wine at a gospel church and I wanted to submit that that's THE BEST THING EVER. EVER. Wow. I need to go there. You are my hero
I love turkey. In fact, I had it 3 times this past weekend. I think we're having it again when my dad gets back from Edmonton-I'm excited. That whole Blasted Church thing sounds AMAZING!!! You guys had a super cool Thanksgiving weekend, eh? Wine tasting, hot tub, and Gospel stuff....incredible!
I have gospel envy. Do you think we could convert Greg? I don't know if his Juicy Fruit image would go well with big black gospel but we could sure try.
I can say no wrong about Greg today because he sent me a sweet email saying he'll miss me while I'm on mat leave. How can you mock a guy like that? OK...he's still the golden boy..
Heather: I'm super proud to be your hero but I must let you down and say I did not actually drink wine at a gospel church. Blasted Church is a winery (named after a church that was blasted with dynamite to allow it to be moved) that holds a midnight gospel service 2x a year. I say next time we load up a bus and all go! what a party that would be!!!!
4ever29: I love Greg but I have to say, if we could make him go black I'd be a happy chick!!!! Love gospel music. too bad we lost Heather, she could have belted out some gospel!!! heather.... come back!!! Velvet queen, you up for some gospel when the mono has vanished? There is a gospel music workshop this weekend in N. Van and I am seriously wishing DH wasn't going to be away or I would make him go. He plays a mean blues guitar though so he could easily be brought over to the gospel rebellion :-)
I must know: When is the other service/tasting held????? I want to go REAL bad!!!
I think they do it at the spring and then the fall wine festivals. We shall have to make it a group event and get a whole bunch of us together and go up. It was a blast.
Post a Comment