Saturday, September 02, 2006

When pork flies...

Yesterday was our 10th wedding anniversary. After I finished blogging and working (which was shortly after as my brain wasn't functioning) I headed down to the beach to join the family. We spent the entire day basking in the sun. I read a book that is somewhat work related, DH read my hilarious novel by Miriam Toews (hmmm, I know whose related to her!) and the kids played with friends. DH tried to get me to agree to return to the apartment at 5:00 but no go, I refused. We headed back at 6:00 and then went out for a family dinner. Not exactly romantic I guess... although it was our anniversary, we are actually celebrating the day at another time so we kept it simple. Besides we don't have a babysitter here so what can ya do? But we had delicous pasta, a glass of wine and our kids were wonderfully behaved and it was a very pleasant night. Gorilla is suddenly Mr. Pleasant and after last week's reign of child from you know where, it is a nice switch. I had to give him one of those lectures that only a mother can give, complete with pointed finger and ramblings about how the world does not revolve around him blah blah blah and oddly enough that seems to have worked. Who knew our mothers actually knew what they were doing? I for one always that approach was not good but if it works don't fix it.

We were/are planning an anniversary party... at some point... we are intending to renew our vows as well. Someone told me that this was "silly" seeing as we have only been married 10 years (only? in this day and age its an accomplishment!) but to us it is not silly. Our marriage has been through incredible strain and growing pains. We married young and then whammy everything hit us at once. So this anniversary is a celebration of survival. But DH is away for pretty much the ENTIRE month of september thanks to a new job plus an additional contract he does every September which helps pay our bills. I wasn't impressed at first but honestly, I am too busy to organize anything anyways. And as many of you now know after coming over, my house is extremely undecorated and rather unpopulated at the moment. It needs attention... if only I had the time.

The anniversary party will happen but will have to wait until maybe October or something.

In the mean time our anniversary date is a night of gospel music, bbq pork and wine. Does it get any better than that? I would say it does not! Yes, we are going to the Midnight Gospel Service
at Blasted Church Winery in Okanagon falls during the Fall Wine Festival. There may still be tickets for those of you who also love wine and gospel music... and of course, pork. LOL! It has been one year since my last Gospel event and I am in withdrawal so it will be good. Love Gospel music.

Last night DH surprised me YET AGAIN... Pigs are definately flying today because surprises are not usually his thing! DH had my broken engagement ring #1 repaired and gave it back to me as a surprise - very sweet!! Those of you who have been reading this blog from the beginning will remember that it literally snapped in two while I was waiting to cross the border one day. I have a surprise for him too but I can't tell you all about it for quite some time as every once in awhile DH reads my blog... not often I recently learned, but occasionally.

6 comments:

4ever29 said...

Next year I am soooooo in! Wine, gospel and pork all at once, that's practically heaven! Well, maybe not, Jesus was Jewish.

Anonymous said...

Michelle,
Can you give that chat to Cole for me? lol
because he certainly needs it and whatever I'm doing isn't quite cutting it. lol
MO

heather said...

sure am related to miriam. ironically, it is not through the name toews, but if you read the book you understand that we're all bordering on inbred.

good thing my grandparents got out of that town, that could have been me.

anniversaries sound like fun.

Michelle said...

M - dh and I also plan on renewing our vows on our 10th and have heard similar comments. We are two years away from that (we had originally planned on doing this in Mexico but $3 child may have changed those plans for us) and think it is a fantastic accomplishment these days. Of all of our friends/family that were married before or around our wedding only one other couple (out of 6) is still together. :-( So I say CONGRATULATIONS to you!

That Gospel service sounds fantastic and as dh grew up in Penticton he's always good for a trip there.

Michelle said...

umm that should be #3 child not my three dollar child! LOL

Magnificent M said...

Michelle: ha ha ha, I like the idea of 3 dollar child, like you guys split a slurpee and then... okay, I'm tired, too much crazy shopping today and my mind is not functioning :-)

Mo: LOL! ya well it seems to have worn off already so I guess it wasn't as effective... but it felt good at the time... guilt afterwards but hey, we all have our breaking point. I ran into Adi's family today, we were chatting about all getting together again - a big playgroup evening or something :-)

Heather: that's okay, my family is mormon and has this shockingly strong blonde producing gene that has managed to continue to reappear which I learned indicates that we too were rather, errr, closely knit. Hey just look at my son and then at my husband and you gotta wonder, how on earth can that be??!! its the genetics. Loved the novel though, very interesting.