Monday, September 25, 2006

The Pink Sweater

First let's talk about insanity... here is a picture of it....

oh no wait, sorry this is a picture of Costco on a sunday afternoon. Lesson learned, go to Costco at other times. You can't really tell but the line up stretched all the way to the snowsuits... that is far for those of you who don't haunt my local Costco. That same day I headed to Superstore and noticed that everything I bought at Costco was just as cheap at Superstore. It raises the question, why go to Costco at all?

And now for the story of the sweater....

When it comes to chores, our house is a house evenly divided. DH and I share our responsibilities. While he is no Julia Childs, he will cook a decent dinner in a pinch. I prefer my cooking but I enjoy his quick meals too. There are a few things he avoids… effective de-cluttering for one. He tends to pile it all in one spot and dump it somewhere obscure. He tends to avoid deep cleaning like toilets and showers but he is great about doing dishes which I hate doing (all that nasty stuff in the water makes me gag… literally). I am trying to teach him to swiffer the bathroom floor more often as all that long hair has to go somewhere when free of the pony tail and the floor is the usual spot and I HATE wading through hair every day in the bathroom. You could make a wig from the amount of hair on the floor and shockingly the man is not going bald. He will never go bald. You have never seen anyone with that much hair! I should be so lucky.

For the most part we share the tasks. We both clean, we both scrub, we both shop, we both cook and we both do laundry. It’s a shared effort. He even picked out Banana’s spring/summer wardrobe this year all by himself! That was a hard chore to give up but working, studying and balancing requires that I give up a few things and he volunteered so I took a deep breath and promised myself that I could return anything scary and sent them to the mall. I returned nothing. He did good.

I consider myself a lucky woman. However, occasionally the line between lucky and unlucky becomes slightly blurred. The other day it was obscured slightly by a hazy pinkish hue in the shape of a sweater.

Banana and I decided to go through her clothes and pull out the fall clothes that no longer fit. As we went through the sweaters I found a lovely pink sweater that looked oddly familiar… wool… a lovely dark pink… would coordinate with all of my favorite colors… cute pocket… crewneck… wait a minute… that is my lovely pink sweater!! It was hard to recognize my favorite sweater as it was incredibly small. So small that DH had stuck it with Banana’s sweaters. So small that it wouldn’t even come close to fitting me. So small that it fits Banana perfectly. And while I would love to pretend that she and I are close in size, ha! Reality is a bitter pill and there is no way she and I can share clothes. I am somewhat comforted that she can at least wear it as it is a lovely sweater but I am mourning the loss of the sweater that matched black, grey and chocolate brown and looked great with the blouse with pink grapefruit stripes on it.

Sigh. I will miss that sweater but it is just a sweater and it can be replaced and a hubby who does chores cannot so I will not say anything other than “by the way hon, wool doesn’t do well in the dryer!!”

Doesn’t Banana look cute in her new sweater?! I’ll have to get her some chocolate brown pants or maybe some dark grey cords.

3 comments:

4ever29 said...

Oh the bad laundry mistake by the husband. I had one of those happen once, and only once. After that I took away all laundry privileges from D. I was preggers with E and we had NO money. Heck I was like 19 at the time :) anyway, I had 2 maternity tops that were appropriate to wear to work and I got home one day and puller one of them out of the dryer and it was half the size it used to be. In my hormonal pregnant state I went into the closet and pulled out D's favorite shirt and shredded it. It made me feel better but then we were both down a shirt and still were broke. I sympathize about the sweater.

Magnificent M said...

DD: is THAT why you borrowed a lime, to see my stumpage??!! Ha!

29: I am laughing so hard right now! shredded a shirt! that is hilarious!

T. said...

Hilarious!! Banana looks super cute (and so grown up!) in the pink sweater.