Saturday, August 05, 2006

Outward Bound!

I think I discovered a new sport today -rock clambering.

We decided to go for a hike today. DH returned from the NWT late last night and we talked until very late and I didn't fall asleep until 3:45 am. As a result, we slept in. woke up, saw sunshine and thought ahhh man, we have to get ROLLING! We packed in record time, using up almost all of our fridge contents to make lunches, filled water bottles and off we went.

We hit Lower Falls Trail which is really not a hike but a walk on a trail. After the falls we trekked down by the waterfall and hit the freezing cold water. The kids wanted to explore so we climbed over rocks in cold, sometimes surprisingly deep water. While doing this I realized that this was an incredibly great core workout. I was losing my balance, manouevering and physically active. Better yet I was working on my tan which has faded to a greenish glow from too much compter time, while at the ame time not feeling overheated as my legs were in ice cold glacier run off. Everyone was happy and having fun. Add to this the educational component of having the kids problem solve the obstacles and their course and you have the MOST efficient use of time while also being fun that could exist! I mean does it get any better?! Who needs Bosu??!! Did I mention the tanning component!

After this we headed down stream to a slightly more beachy area but still on the trail and fairly private. We found a great watering hole and spent the afternoon swimming and sitting in the sun. When we packed up I get the great idea that rather than take the trail, we should just walk along the stream. No easy task as it is fairly rocky but I am on an adrenaline high from the last discovery so off we go. Well small rocks turn into boulders and then into slimy boulders that are hard to navigate. We are still having a great time but I have to say, it was quite the workout. I just about kicked it a couple of times and began reflecting on my professional commitments next week and how having a twisted ankle or missing teeth (from landing on a rock) may be less than stellar. Even a scraped knee would detract from my attempts to look professional. We continued downstream for almost an hour and then in one flying leap from one rock to the next and having to throw the beach blanket I was carrying into the water in order to save myself I yelled "lets find the trail again!" So we did. But I have to say I was impressed with my kids and their clambering skills.

Good thing we returned to the trail when we did as the terrain got worse and the return to trail became extremely steep after that point. ah well, lesson learned and workout gained. Excellent. Good day had by all and best of all, it was free, good thing after last week's family day at storyeum.

The day got better too! Tonight I was also informed that I looked "hot" (their words, not mine) and I must say, I was very pleased. I should point out that no, they are not family members nor are they obliged to pay me compliments so that makes it all the better. It is not every day I get told I'm hot Add to this that these same individuals announced that I was cool just a few days before and well, I'm on cloud 9. Needless to say, I am liking this behavior and feel the need to encourage it. Compliments will be rewarded with wine... if they are really good, I'll throw in some cheese!

I'm off to Victoria for a few days, I'd better go and pack!!!

No comments: