Monday, June 19, 2006

My weekend or she shops therefore she is

Productive weekend, very productive. Expensive, but productive. (Warning, this blog may be unamusing and boring for some)

Friday Night: I went to the Chick Auction at my son's teachers's house and she auctioned off gently used items. Food, punch with sparkling wine in it, paddles and shopping with friends = good evening. The money raised goes towards Mrs. Shepherd-Hill's classroom needs. Its a great idea! I bought this ceramic frog thing which I was not fond of but wanted to bid on something (I'm not one for clutter so don't usually accumulate knick-knacks), a terracotta wine cooler as ours broke a few years ago and this one was selling for $2 and best of a all, a POTTERY BARN skateboard hook. It looks like a skateboard with the wheel being the hook. Love it! The auctioneer said POTTERY BARN and I jumped out of my chair, paddle straight into the air. Love the barn! It will work nicely in Gorilla's room. He desperately wants a skateboard.

Saturday: was supposed to go to gym but didn't. Slept in after difficult week instead. DH earned bonus points for that :-). Went to Homesense to buy a bamboo steamer as I was entertaining some friends for a Dim Sum lunch. Walked out with the following amazing items:
- a spiderman alarm clock, at the alarm, spidey climbs the rather large building to the top and goes into a window. The Spiderman face is illuminated onto the wall. Items like this can not be ignored. Well, they can, but it has gone into the stash of items that can be earned for various hard work and good deeds by Gorilla.
-A Darth Vader Sprinkler. B and G love star wars but so do I. Its debatable as to who is more excited about the sprinkler. Also in the stash of items to be earned. THere are few freebies in this house.
-A spiderman boogie board... My kids like to "surf". need to find girlie boogie board for Banana. Our 2 weeks at the beach loom (9 more days).
-a very cute tommy hilfiger dress - clearance rack.
-a pack of 3 kids goggles, also for beach.

and of course, the bamboo steamer.

I made a vegetarian dim sum lunch, with assistance from Hon's. We had vegetarian bbq pork buns, peanut and celery dumplings and vegetarian shrimp dumplings. Yummy. Had 3 of my fellow sisters over and we accomplished mucho.

I forgot to pick up Banana from dance, so DH ran out to get her, 5 min. late. Oops. fortuantely they never end on time so it was all good.

We cleaned our house, straightened things up and made some plans to make it look lived in. Chores were done, sheets were washed etc. We then rushed off to church, tossing the kids some all bran bars to tide them over as we forgot to eat dinner. Again, oops!

Church was good. Fathers Day is a difficult day for DH and we normally don't go to church that weekend for his sake. But we forgot and went and panicked for a minute but it was fine. I ran into puffy shirt hottie and referred to her as this... she had NO idea what I was talking about because a) she hasn't been reading my blog (!!! oh the horror) and b) she isn't a seinfeld fan. Sadly there aren't that many of us these days.

Had yucky fast food for dinner, I opted for a veggie burger but did have onion rings. Cant be good all of the time. We then grocery shopped at Superstore and stocked up on staples... we were out of almost everything. Our food supplies had reached the point of chocolate chips, moose sausage and flour. Hmmm, even I am not that creative!

Sunday: We relaxed and hung out in pj's for a bit... DH and I engaged in decorating discussions (yes, he enjoys this) and we made some plans. I made breakfast, scrambled eggs, whole grain toast with real butter and carmelized bacon. What is that you ask? Well, only the best bacon ever! Lay the bacon out on the broiler pan, sprinkle 1/2 cup brown sugar across the bacon (good does not always equal low cal) and then back for approx. 20 min at 425. Simply lovely. Its salty, sweet all at once. I know it SOUNDS weird!! I made it as part of a Martha brunch last year at Christmas and we loved it.

We then tidied up a bit and headed out to the promised land, I mean Ikea. I warn you, we did go a bit nuts, but it was a planned nuts. The new house is rather vacuous at the moment and purchases are needed. We bought (lets see if I can remember it all)
-throw pillows for the rec room. It is currently very bland... beige and white... hardly a kids room! We bougth a few cheap bright throw pillows and a bright avocado green (guacamole green) carpet to give the room a lift.
-we did not buy lighting for rec room... mainly because I despise the Ikea lighting department. I can never make a decision there! Will have to go to Home Depot
-a garbage can for under our sink. we've been using banana's bedroom garbage can. We bought the same one we had at the old house that has a receptacle for garbage and a second receptacle which here we will use for kitchen waste/compostable items.
-a silver garbage can for the office
-a hurricane lamp/glass thing that you put your pillar candle in when outside on the patio... ahhh summer nights.
-some coconutty potpourri. for my luxurious bathroom :-)
-these cute stools for the kids rec room - on sale and multipurpose
- additional dining room chairs as we currently own four but our table seats 10. Our spare chairs are ugly... very ugly.
-a cheap, on sale, bamboo or something similar rug for under Gorilla's bed. His room is surfer themed with this big surfer on the wall and we are turning the space under his loft bed into a tiki room. I have intentions of creating a grass hut type room to come off one side of the bed and am going to put the bamboo rug under the bed area to define the playspace.

We also went to Linen and Things and found our dream kitchen stools (black saddle stools) and ordered 4 of those. I can't wait to be able to eat at our kitchen island!!

Rushed home, quickly cleaned and put away and then entertained DH's family for fathers day. Buffalo burgers (soy for me), green salad, lemonade and someone brought beer (yuck)... it wasn't fancy but I wasn't up for entertaining. I attempted to pull a Martha and DH said that I was not to plan anything so what can you do??

For Fathers day I gave DH a "night out", with me, when we go away. We are going to go to one of our favorite restaurants at the Burrowing Owl Winery for a nice patio dinner overlooking the vineyards. I had intended to take him out on a night to a jazz festival event and dinner but it was rather rushed with the jazz festival starting Saturday and Saturday being Banana's dance recital and then, DH is in the Yukon Monday and Tuesday and then we leave for vacation on Wednesday. So I opted for this instead. We love a good meal with great wine.

All in all a good weekend. I didn't work out even once, and haven't for about 2 weeks (bad!) but I had some great moments with the loves of my life and I didn't think about work at all so I guess that is good!

2 comments:

4ever29 said...

We do make the same bacon!!! It's really great in BLT's. Gotta love Martha.

Magnificent M said...

Yum! Its great in spinach salad too! You can't go wrong with brown sugar!