Monday, June 26, 2006

Boomer goes a wandering...

This is my cat Boomer. We adopted him in January from Katie's Place Animal Shelter. He is nine years old and quite the character. Although he and is fellow adopted brother Noel, were suppposed to be the kid's cats, Boomer is mine. We understand one another. He follows me around. We have good conversations and he gives good advice. I first fell in love with the boomerang because he reminded me of my first cat Fluffy. Boomer is very personable. If you walk into the room where he is, he sits up and meows as if to say "hi". And he gives good kisses when you've been away. When we first brought him home, he marched into our living room, looked around and gave it a nod of approval as if to say "yes, this will do for me... me lika the poofy couch laday!" We started calling him our Fat Albert cuz he's large, in charge and looks like he would say "hey hey hey!" if he could. He is also under the impression that he has opposable thumbs and attempts to open doors with the imaginary thumbs.

Last night we entertained so we spent the night on the patio. While we were out, apparently Boomer decided to stroll the neighborhood and apparently walked right into a few homes. Apparently his friendliness has nothing to do with love for us. Double double tells me that someone fed him. I ask you, does this large cat look to you as though he is stray and needs more food? I think not!

We first entertained double double and her husband who has no nickname... perhaps we can christen him triple triple or choco lover extroidinaire. I called up double double to suggest she and hubby come over for a pellegrino (translation, water that she and I both love) and some conversation. It was a brief visit but very fun and relaxing. Later that night we entertained two acquiantances who just moved to Vancouver from Boston, Katie and Michele. Katie and I worked together in the past and will now be working in the same types of roles but not together per se. I expect that there will be collaboration etc at some point down the road. She is a great lady, very passionate, hard working and intelligent - A great addition to Vancouver!

It was a beautiful warm night so we sat outside enjoying the sun and tried to ensure there wasn't too much shop talk. We started off with fresh pico de gallo (salsa) and chips and then had sort of a serve yourself type wraps with whole wheat tortillas, black beans, lettuce and various veggies. Michele and Katie are vegan. I actually really enjoy this type of meal anyways as it is easy, fresh, and simple to prep on a hot day. It went very well with white wine. I had intended to make watermelon limeade with vodka but at the last minute decided it was too much work. We finished the meal with some cherries, plain and simple and very fresh.

It was our fist night of entertaining (with the exception of the three course meal I made for Velvet Queen and the owner of the boys that swim) and I was pleased with how the backyard turned out. It was prettier in the evening when the candles were all lit and glowing but you get the idea. The palm tree makes the backyard look kind of tropical. I'm a wanna-be-hawaiian so I'm very happy with the palm.

After a productive day of chores, cleaning, produce shopping and food preparation, it was a good way to end the evening and a good way to start the summer!

okay for some reason blogger is ignoring my uploaded photos... I will fix it in a few hours, my 30 min "break" from work is over so I must return to the grind

1 comment:

T. said...

Patio sounds lovely...Isn't it the best feeling to spend a day doing chores, shopping and preparing, then be able to sit back, relax and enjoy a job well done. So satisfying!! I want to see boomer on your blog!! I had that problem with the photos once too :-(