A few unrelated discussions this time...
First, my name is officially in print. While I am not published by any means my small experiments last year have been accepted as Poster Submissions at the Annual Behavior Analyst Convention coming up this month and as a result my name appears in the index of the program which is the size of a small text book. In addition, I am teaching a workshop at the same event and am both nervous and excited about this. It will be my first international teaching event. I'm already planning my next experiments so if you would like me to experiment on you, speak up now! Mad scientist at work!
Second, I had a lovely dinner with a good friend on the weekend. She has no idea how much that meant to me. It was one of the most enjoyable nights I've had in quite some time. We enjoyed some wine, some tuna, some "spa food" and a lovely cheese plate. We enjoy the same foods, the same talk and every time we get together its like a dose of valium, uppers and pychiatry all rolled up together. Very lovely.
Third, an update on the leeks. No one is asking to pass the leeks. They remain in my fridge, a failed, french experiment. I have decided instead to turn them into soup. This should work as leek soup is good and it allows me to combine the consumption of the soup and liquid all at once without having to survive eating slimy green pieces. Fetch.
Faced with the command of the leeks last night, the sunshiney weather and the desire to be able to check off "family time" and "exercise" on my to do list (efficiency as you all know is very important to me) I decided to take the family on what has become one of my favorite family events: a run. The kids ride their bikes and Justin and I run and everyone is happy. My butt theoretically decreases in size, I feel better about myself, I burn calories, I spend some quality time with my beautiful man and the children get some exercise.
This has become a weekly ritual, we go for a run/ride, end up at a restaurant and have a casual meal. Last week was Taco Del Mar. This week we went Thai - its a world tour. Thai food, although delicious, is not exactly low in fat. I attempted to steer clear of the most calorie laden choices but peanut sauce and coconut milk are hard to avoid. The good news was that Banana tried lots of new foods and Gorilla was very happy to have some grilled chicken and rice. Gorilla was very excited that he could have pop from the can and that his rice came in a shiny silver bowl. Tom yun Koong, Swimming Angels (chick on spinach), Pad Thai, Garlic Prawns (Banana's choice) and Panang Curry later, we were stuffed but once again very pleased with our move to our new home.
The new house/location seems to have re-inspired the runner in me. I used to run but I bore easily when running. I used to run in my neighborhood but found there were too many loose dogs in the "farm"areas (where people think that having 2 acres allows them to let their pit bulls roam free as recreation from their jobs as guarders of grow ops) and found the experience to be less than reinforcing. I also like to combine my exercise with social time - everything is about efficiency and there isn't enough social time otherwise. But now we live close to paths and actually have sidewalks. The kids are old enough to ride their two wheellers proficiently (although Banana still rides straight INTO curbs and obstacles - can't wait till she starts to drive!!?!) and runs can be towards end destinations, increasing the efficiency factor. We don't run terrifically far but hopefully I'll see the effects anyways. It clears my head, eliminates some of my stress and anxiety and its efficient in many, many ways. Did you know that running is one of the best ways to burn calories - sold!
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment