Monday, December 14, 2009

Walking the chili through the beans

This recipe is from my Simply in Season cookbook. Its an economical, easy dinner that seems perfect on a cold snowy day.

1 pound of dried pinto or other bean - sorted and rinsed. Soak overnight. Drain. Add fresh water to cover beans. cover and bring to a boil. Simmer, covered 10 mins.

2 cups tomatoes chopped - 1 use tomatoes I freeze in the summer when the tomatoes are at their peak. I simply wash them and stick them whole in freezer bags. I'm lazy that way ;)
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp garlic
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 whole chipotle in adobo sauce
recipe calls for 1 ham hock but I just use a bouillon cube. Not one for having hocks handy, lol

Add all of htis to the beans and bring to a boil. Remove chipotle pepper and reserve. (This process is called walking the chili through the stew/soup). Beware these babies are hot
Lower heat and simmer until beans are tender, stirring frequently and adding more water if necessary to prevent scorching. Salt to taste and return chipotle pepper to pot if a hotter stew is desired. SErve in soup bowls over freshly baked corn bread or with warm, buttered flour tortillas.

I'm serving mine with these tonight:

Naan bread
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1 tbsp sugar
Mix in small bowl until dissolved

1 cup lukewarm water
1/4 cup yogurt
1 beaten egg
2 tbsp oil
2 tsp salt
5+ cups flour, up to half whole wheat.

Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough and knead for 5-10 mins. Place in greased bowl, cover with damp cloth and let rise 1 hour. Separate dough into golf ball size balls. Roll each to 1/16inch thickness. Preheat frypan on stove to med-high heat. Add 1/2 tsp butter to frypan and allow to melt. Place 1 round of dough at a time in frypan. Cook on each side until lightly browned and puffy. Wrap in a towel to keep warm while cooking the remaining breads.

And I'm serving some yams and onions sauteed in a bit of butter with some chili powder and various spices and salt. Starchy dinner for sure!!! The yams were begging to be used up otherwise I would have done something like a pico de gallo or something! Yum!! Hope it all turns out

2 comments:

Magnificent M said...

Oh forgot to mention all of this is taking place in my FAVORITE cookware - cast iron dutch oven and my cast iron frying pan. Love these two!!

Magnificent M said...

This naan recipe is divine. I made an error though when making it - i threw in a cup of yogurt!!! I just added more flour until the consistency was correct. In the end, it was fantastic. I froze some extras and had a piece for breakkie too! Yum.