Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday night is Pizza Night

My morning started off with explorations of Ancient Egypt and working on teaching the kids to outline the important facts from a book. Once that was underway I brewed an espresso and began making pizza dough. Tonight's pizza will have a pesto base. I haven't quite decided on toppings but I have lots of choices. I could keep it simple with sliced tomatoes and a bit of cheese. Or I could go greek and do peppers, onions an tomatoes topped with mint and feta. I could do salami. Or I could get exotic and roast some veggies. It will depend on what time I get home from my staff meeting and how drained I feel when I get home.

After starting the dough I thought about what to do for this staff. With my job I work with several different teams of staff. This particular group recently met a goal that I had set for them and have really done an amazing job. I am of the mindset that if someone does something I like I should make sure they know that! I like to reward :) I treat my staff occasionally. Sometimes I bring a homemade pizza or I pick up a themed snack feast for them or I bring a round of Starbucks to them. I always try to think of the team, what they might like and what works with my budget and timeline. Sine I was already making pizza dough I decided I'd make one of my favorite savory treats - Onion Piazzettes. Take whole wheat flour, lots of olive oil, 4 tbsp of honey, water and yeast, combine, let rise till soft and fluffy. Top with onions marinated in olive oil and garlic and sage or basil and brush with lots of oil. It isn't exactly diet friendly but it is delicious.

I love making bread. My fascination starts with the process of allowing the yeast, sugar and water to brew together and bubble up. I love the smell that rises from the bowl as it does that. I love the warmth of kneading the dough and how this process consumes me. It is as if my brain becomes unchained while I knead and I can problem solve and think through many of my issues. Today I used my kitchenaid to do the kneading but even then my mind seemed free. I love how the dough takes on a silky texture when all of the ingredients combine just right. I love the smell of it as it rises. And I love to eat it when its cooked!!! Nothing beats fresh, hot dough with a decadent amount of butter or olive oil on it! Yum!!

Both doughs are rising, my mind feels almost clear of what is plagueing it today, dinner is prepared for and now it is time for me to go to work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy! Perhaps I can send the kids up for dinner?

I have some leftover style soup concoction brewing in my rock pot (typo, but I like it :). Undoubtedly it will be a miss with the wee ones.

... and I never count olive oil as fat.

T. said...

I really think there is nothing better than the smell of home made pizza dough or bread rising and/or cooking. So good. I think home made pizza is my very favorite food, actually.

Lindsey and Mike said...

So glad you're blogging deliciousness again:)