Sunday, September 14, 2008

I'm home. We had a FANTASTIC week! I think this was the best vacation we've ever had!! Granted, it probably wasn't everyone's definition of a blast - my good friend Daphne thought it sounded horrific when I told her what our plans were - but it was our kind of week. I'm tired and there is a tonne of smokey, stinky laundry to be done so I'll give the short version now and then upload some photos and stories later:

- camping was awesome and we had a good spot at the National campground, private, woody, beautiful beach
- the weather was fantastic, sunny every day and warm, although chilly at night in our wooded campground
- surfing.... ohhhhh, surfing. LOVED it!! LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it!!! Wading out into that (cold) water, starting out into the open ocean.. just me, some swells and the sun... it was awesome. I've never loved something as much as I loved this. Despite the love, I sort of sucked at it. I got up on the board, I stood and I rode some waves, but I fell off A LOT and I was far from graceful about any of it. but I got back on again and again and the surfing itch is now in my blood. From this day on, most if not all vacations will be planned around whether I can surf there.
- Gorilla is a good surfer. Banana kicks BOOTY at surfing! I am amazed at her athleticism, balance, grace and tenacity. She rode many a wave, rarely fell off and showed tremendous skill at it. DH also did quite well and fit right in with the surfer dudes with his long hair and new Yukon grown beard.
- the dutch oven, sweet mecca of yummy cooking!!! I made biscuits, baked beans, bison bourginon (sp?), vegetable pot pie with dumplings and the stickiest, yummiest cinnamon buns in it. I will post pictures and recipes later
- ate lots of seafood, so delish.
- am in love with Tofino. I am planning my life around living there.
- I have never seen so many westfalia/VW vans in my life.

I am however looking forward to my super comfy bed, a shower and not hearing the stupid crows at 5 am fighting above my tent.

p.s. Kids had to do dishes each night, which they were less then impressed by. Last night, seeing the large pile of dishes the following conversation was heard:

G: "This is the worst night of my entire life!!! " grumbling noises
B: "Correction, this is the worst night of your entire life, so far."

I laughed so hard that tears came out of my eyes.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Yay - glad you had fun. Everything other than the actual tent thing sounds good to me. :-D