Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Alternative Universe?

I went away to Chicago, I came back and I feel like I'm in some sort of parallel, alternative universe. While I've been focussed on the search for the ultimate hybrid to replace our current SUV, my DH has been focussed on his desires to get a big ass truck. As I blogged about, he tried to convince me that the diesel silverado would satisfy my needs but it didn't wash. I drove it for him - I think that was my first mistake - and fulfilled his fantasy for a scant 15 minutes and then assured him that I was not going to drive a gas or diesel guzzling pig to work. Seriously?! I mean am I speaking English here? Fuel efficiency. Environmental impact. Cost efficient. Fits multiple homeschooled children in it. Well DH has been thinking, now HE needs the pick up. He has decided that he is buying it. As he points out, for years we have been driving vehicles that were not of our choosing. He is right. Our pathfinders are incredible steals we get from my father every 4 years. We've wanted something that seats 6 or more for over 5 years now. And we would make good use of a pick up. We like to bike, we are hoping that this is the summer we can get back into kayaking, we like to camp etc. I'm not anti truck but I'm not pro either. I am on the fence. Wish there were a hybrid truck so I could assauge my guilt a bit. In the mean time, I've nicknamed the possible purchase "The Pig". << M shakes her head and sighs>> But it doesn't stop there. Nooooo, now he thinks he needs a trailer too. First it was a camper, which I can handle, but I found myself being dragged through my ultimate nightmares on Saturday - big trailers. I don't mind a trailer, I do mind pouffy couches with ugly patterns, matching frilly curtains and gorpy cupboards. And can I just say that if I can watch a tv, I am not camping??!! This comes from my wilderness raised DH for who camping in a campground is not camping??!! I literally turned to him after he walked me into the second nightmare container and said "Who are you??!" He laughed. I think my good friend Simon has it right, he's been abducted by aliens and replaced. Its a shell of him but there is something crazy living inside. I've put my foot down a bit and said "If we are getting one of these nightmares, we are a) getting it used, b) getting something cool like an airstream and c) getting our upholestery friend to recover it and put cool curtains in it."

In the mean time, I have found 2 hybrids that seat 7 and am desperately hoping I still have a chance of trading in both our vehicles and getting one. I think I'd better work fast as DH and his mid life crisis/truck fantasies are gaining steam on me. I've promised my girlfriends that if we get a truck, I will lay across the hood and make a ridiculous pose and post it for you all.

If I go back to chicago and return again, will the aliens go away?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lol ,
Aliens giggle giggle.
too funny
Mo