Thursday, March 20, 2008

Where are the veggies?

Last night I was set to make vegetarian chicken breasts (from superstore and very good!) with some whole wheat penne with a bit of olive oil and a smidge of garlic and peas. I looked "everywhere" for the peas. Darn green french vegetables could not be found!!! 2 minutes before dinner and I was trying to find a back up plan. Scoured my veggie drawer: a ridiculous amount of onions, 1 carrot, about 1/2 c of shrivelled mushrooms (not sure why Ale will leave an usable small amount left to shrivel and die!) and an acorn squash. Squash is good but not known for its cook in 2 minutes properties. Onions, well I like them but in small amounts. The kids hate them. 1 carrot is not helpful. A quick glance in my cookbook and I spotted an apple peanut salad. Perfect as we have a tonne of apples in cold storage. The salad was made up of chopped apples, peanuts, raisins, coconut and was supposed to have celery in it. The dressing was peanut butter, mayo (wow, low calorie dressing eh?!) some milk and some sugar. Calorie counting aside, it was very tasty. I found it a bit sweet and I felt like I was eating more of a dessert than a salad but it was well received, it was quick and it was of the produce family so it was good enough.

Today is grocery day so we should be able to remedy the "I only have onions to eat" situation.

The mysterious vanishing peas by the way, I spotted them in the freezer this morning. They were neither hiding nor hard to see. Apparently I am losing my mind.

No comments: