Monday, January 14, 2008

Whistler again

We headed up to Whistler again on friday night and spent the weekend skiing. On saturday I dropped Banana off at Whistler kids and headed up Blackcomb for a group lesson. I lucked out AGAIN and had another private lesson for the price of a group! Wow! My instructor this time was the best I've had yet and absolutely lovely to spend the day with. She had some great tips, exercises and feedback for me and by the end of the day I was skiing faster and more aggressively. Gorilla and DH skied together all day and hit lots of blue and some black runs. On Sunday we all skied together. Gorilla continues to amaze me. His poles are a bit of a disaster - waving madly at times - and he still uses a lot of the flying V to get down parts of the hill but his speed and his ability to turn are very under control. I have to admit though that when he ski's I tend to get the giggles because he looks a bit like his name should be Evil Kinnevil. Banana manages turns, moguls, jumps and steep slopes with grace and ease. We mainly did blue runs but did do one black run that had some very hard, large moguls and my poor knee hasn't forgiven me yet for that lapse in judgement. The blues were great though and I haven't yet found one I can't handle.

We headed up to the very top and skied some great powder in an area called the harmony bowl. DH took some pictures so I will have to download from his camera. The views were breathtaking up there. We lucked out and had sunshine in the morning and were above the clouds. Sometimes it hits me how lucky we are to live in this part of the world... when you stand at the top of a mountain and look down at all that God created, truly amazing. There simply are no words.

On another note, I mainly ate very well but Banana and I shared some poutine on sunday and i have to say, it was fantastic. Fries swimming in gravy with cheese, sounds gross but oohhhh it was good. I guess we can't be total health nuts all of the time!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Your skiing sounds so good. We haven't ventured out to that sport with the kids, but Josh is still too young (probably not as I've seen tiny little guys up there) and it's a bit out of our price range for a while anyway.

Did I thank you for the tortilla recipes? Thank you. I haven't tried them, but I will. By the time I saw them I had already bought some.

Mmm, poutine. We're heading to Costco so might just have to get some. I'm not a huge fry person, but put lots of cheese curds, a little gravy and I'm in love. Mostly with the melty cheese curds and the little gravy (and gravy is another thing I normally don't like). LOL

Lindsey and Mike said...

I had never tried poutine until I met Mike and even then I've had it 2 or 3 times but it's pretty yummy. I was skeptical, even with the cheese and gravy-the name, the look of it-but it definately is a treat. I love it when it's burn-your-mouth-hot:)

And skiing sounds amazing too:)

Magnificent M said...

I love fries with gravy. I was always skeptical of the cheese added to poutine but really, is anything that high in calories ever not tasty? Calories = yummy. Sadly.

M - I hope the tortillas turn out nicely... They were fun to make. And you could probably add yummy flavors to them too like jalapeno or chili spice or something for a neat flavor.

Skiing is expensive! We love spending that much time together as a family though. It has been such a great activity for us so I am really glad we dived back into it last year. This year my dad bought each of us passes for Whistler as Christmas/Bday presents so that makes it much more affordable. We have a cheap place to stay up there and we cook our meals for the most part too. We are very lucky because we get away a lot for almost no cost thanks to my father. So while it looks like we live this travelling life we actually don't ever do expensive vacations. Not that I wouldn't LIKE to though!! Ahhhh sunshine and margaritas would be lovely!!!