Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Bubble and squeak

I am making something called bubble and squeak for dinner tonight. Weird name, I know! Its an english dish. Our version will be shredded potatoes with shredded cabbage. We are however having it with some buffalo sausages that we have leftover. I have a back up of potatoes in my fridge so we are working to find recipes to use them up and the various other winter vegetables in our produce drawer. I used to make this dish minus the sausage in my vegetarian days but this is the first time I am making it for the children so it should be interesting. Curious about the name I looked it up on Wikpedia and found this gem:

The name is thought to be either a description of the action and sound made during the cooking process, a reference to the gas "bubbles" the dish causes and the "squeak" one's body makes upon releasing them


Ahhh, good times tonight! Perhaps I shall pull out the beano and dose everyone up before, during and after we eat.

3 comments:

Magnificent M said...

The kids ate the bubble and squeak but I can't say that they love it. No complaints but rather slow in finishing. I thought it was good though!

Coramie said...

When I was growing up, bubble and squeak was usually a breakfast version of leftovers from Christmas dinner. Fried mashed potatoes with some veggies mixed and and all held together with gravy. Occasionally there would be eggs cooked on top to give it all the breakfast flavour. No cheese though. A lovely sagey flavoured mush, with crispy edges. Ah...such memories!!

Magnificent M said...

Yummy! We had leftovers for breakfast the following day with scrambled eggs :-)