I am always amazed at how quickly we forget our routines over the holidays. Each September I set up routines for the kids that allow us to function in a semi-normal state. Getting 2 kids up, dressed, fed while getting ready for work for this night owl who hates mornings can be a challenge. We've hit the jackpot this year as the children are old enough to be extremely independent and reliable in their routines. The night before both kids have to lay out their outfits and then have them checked over by me (you would not believe the lack of color coordination ability in this house - of course G is color blind so I have resorted to buying standard mix and matches for him but B's desire to combine patterns is social suicide!), make their healthy lunches, pack their gym strip and homework, have their planners signed and packed and round up library books and the like as required. In the morning both B and G get up, run through a list of bathroom duties, get dressed, pack their lunch in their bags and then get to do whatever they like until I sling breakfast onto the table. This gives me time to stand in the bathroom in a comatose state, glance wearily in the mirror and lament my wrinkles and cellulite before showering, dressing and pretending I care enough to put on some makeup. We are out the door at 8:07 exactly. This is the first year that we have achieved this type of self-sufficiency.
The routine is always stellar in the fall but over holiday breaks it is not maintained and there is always a painful transition back. This morning I slept through both alarms, got out of bed at 7:30, roused children, realized no outfits were laid out, no lunch was packed, no bags were packed and that G couldn't find his spelling homework. I pulled together pancakes for breakfast but couldn't find a single thing for lunch. We had bread but nothing to put in it. I ended up cooking up noodles and putting in a thermos with butter - how lame is that?! We rushed out the door at 8:14 and managed to arrive JUST on time at school. I have no idea if anyone had PE strip. Ugh.
Monday, January 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment