Friday, November 02, 2007

A true friend indeed

It was a coffee kind of a day. Well, every day is a coffee day but today was REALLY a coffee day. It was cold this morning and the truck was covered in ice. I woke up with a headache and some tight muscles in my back, inner thighs and my derriere. Good workout yesterday. Feeling a bit dehydrated, I made myself a cup of rooiboos tea but its no substitute for anything caffeinated. After dropping the cowhands* at school, I drove home and headed straight to work. At 10:00 I decided it was time for a bagel and a steaming cup of joe with frothed skim milk. I lovingly turned on the cappuccino machine, retrieved the milk, poured my raw blue agave (natural sweetener) into my favorite latte mug and then steamed my milk to perfection. The process is a ritual and it puts me into a relaxed state of mind. I placed the mug under the spout and pressed start. The machine whirred into action... and kept whirring... and whirred some more. Distraught, I glanced in and saw that the bean grinder was sans beans. Still calm, and not fully understanding the ramifications of this event, I opened the cupboard and reached for more beans... but there were none. We were espresso-less. At this moment panic began to set in. I looked at the cupboard, looked at the foamy milk (oh so perfect!) and looked at the cupboard again. Still no beans. After a moment I spotted them... the decaf beans. And at this moment my true desperation became apparent as I whipped open the beans and poured them into the grinder. Some coffee is better than no coffee I tell myself. I grind, it pours and out comes the brew. In a desperate attempt to find some caffeine I stir in a package of instant cappuccino from our last camping trip (oy vey! instant?!) and hope for the best. I add the steamed milk, the beautiful foam and take a sip. Blech! I smell the beans in the grinder and realize that they are well past prime. Afterall when did I actually buy Decaf beans? The real question is why did I ever buy decaf beans??! I throw the offending brew away and make myself a second cup of the instand cappuccino and add some hot chocolate powder to make it taste palatable. I tell a friend of my sorrows and later that day she drops by with a gingerbread latte, non-fat, easy whip and I tell her that I think I love her.

*cowhands - it was western day today and the kids were dressed in western gear. Why our school feels the need to replicate Halloween in a Christian way I don't know?! Basically the kids get two halloweens, and two costumes because we have real halloween and then we have "Christian Perspective halloween" which is always themed in some way that the kids never want to actually be for real halloween. 2 days after halloween and there we are dressed up again, the kids eating hot dogs and having hoe-downs and air band contests at school all day.... Clearly I am becoming rather curmudgeon like!!! Sounds like they had fun. Now if I can get the sugar high to end sometime soon...

No comments: