Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Rubber Chicken

When my kids were babies I joined a group called La Leche League - a group to promote and support breastfeeding. LLL was one of those forces in life that greatly shaped who I am. In LLL I found emotional support, parenting advice and friendship. I learned so much about the benefits of breastfeeding through these women. Did you know that breastmilk is perfectly tailored to your child's needs? The breastmilk of a mother of a newborn is different than what her breastmilk will be like when the child is one. Did you know that formula is continually trying to mimic what is found in breastmilk but that they continue to find new components every year? Did you know that breastmilk is designed perfectly for you child in that its makeup at the start of feeding is different than it is at the end of feeding? It is natural, free, doesn't require warming or sterilization or frankly an effort and you can provide it while semi-concious in the middle of the night. I am continually amazed at how perfect God makes us. We are naturally provided with all that we need to create and nourish a human being. Wow.

Ohh, I'd better climb off my soapbox because my post today was supposed to be about a chicken recipe. This recipe comes from the LLL cookbook. It is actually 2 recipes combined. The first is super simple and is called something about the busy mom's dinner. You simply take a whole chicken, stick it in your crockpot so that the cavity is upwards, pour 2 cups of bbq sauce into the hole, put the lid on and let the crock pot cook the chicken all day. That is it. Before dinner time you can boil/microwave/bake/roast/whatever some potatoes and throw together a salad or even cook some veggies from frozen to accompany it. Voila you have a dinner that is very yummy and very easy.

Day 2, if your chicken is big enough you can use the leftover meat to make a casserole or a chicken pot pie or even chicken in a bun. To prepare for day 3 you stick the leftover carcass into water with some onion and carrot and celery and make a broth.

Day 3, chicken soup.

And there you go.... we call it rubber chicken because you just keep stretching and stretching the chicken :-)

1 comment:

T. said...

Flylady has a similar thing on her site as well..I think she actually calls it rubber chicken. lol. Have to do that sometime soon :-)