Saturday, August 11, 2007

Pass the Caramels

Forrest Gump said it best, life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get.

Nine years ago at this very moment I was somewhat calmly laboring at home with my loving husband holding my hand, rubbing my back and following me around with this goofy "I'm about to be a dad again" grin on his face. Nine years ago I was thinking "FINALLY!!!" as it became obvious that after 3 weeks of waiting for someone to get his butt in gear and GET OUT, the moment had finally arrived. Nine years ago a very lengthy and unexpected pregnancy (3 weeks overdue) was finally coming to an end. I had no idea that night of how much would change. Gorilla arrived at 7:30 in the morning after a lovely, drug free labor and took over my life. In a good way. Gorilla was a surprise, a pleasant surprise but nonetheless a surprise. He was wanted but not planned for. His arrival was anything but smooth and from the moment he arrived he would change everyone's lives completely. Despite the challenges that have come our way (there have been many), despite the financial costs that we have incurred to improve his quality of life (and they have been steep), and despite the chaos that surrounds us permanently (and it is oh so chaotic sometimes and there are days when I just wish this merry go round would stop so I could climb off!), I still think I am the luckiest woman alive to have the privilege of raising Gorilla. He drives me a littly bonky some days but it is a delicious form of bonky and I'd take it over sanity any day. A hug from him, a smile, a kiss, or even just a glance can make any of my troubles disappear.

In less than 8 hours my boy is nine and I for one am stunned... how did this happen and where did it all go? Was it not just a month ago that my little moon faced baby lay asleep in my arms, glued to me like I was his security blanket? Wasn't it just last week that he learned to sit, to crawl, to walk and talk? Wasn't he still my chubby little man yesterday? What happened and who is this tall, young man that has taken his place?! Nostalgia aside, I am a lucky woman. Every child is special but my little man has faced and overcome obstacles that would stop most adults in their tracks. I have been so lucky to see real miracles and I am very blessed. If life is a box of chocolates, he is the chewy caramel that is so sweet that you savor every mouth watering tingle and it takes your breath away.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Wow. Very nice, M. Brought a lump to my throat.

Happy Birthday to your Gorilla!

T. said...

How is it POSSIBLE that he's 9 years old??? Wow. Happy Birthday Gorilla!!!