Thursday, February 08, 2007

Fantastic Dinner

I tend to flip around as to what cookbook I am cooking out of and sometimes I simply do the "use up fresh and frozen ingredients and make something from my head approach". I've been through several Sandy Richard, weight watchers, Real Simple and various other meal plan phases, all of which have worked at the time I did them. Lately I've been on a bit of a french kick and have been turning to some french recipes or to Martha for inspiration. For the past 2 weeks I have been living out of Martha's Everyday Foods, the February edition. She tends to do a low fat issue every February and I tend to use it for quite a while.

The recipe for tonight was a roasted lemon chicken dish. You start by slicing and roasting 2 lemons. Then you brown chicken breasts in olive oil. Next saute the garlic (5 cloves - yum!) in the remaining olive oil and add 1/4 cup of white wine. When the alcohol cooks off, add flour to thicken, then chicken broth, lemon zest and lemon juice from one lemon and simmer the browned but not yet cooked through breasts. You are also supposed to add olives, which I love, but I skipped this to avoid battles with the children. 10 minutes later stir in the roasted lemons (which smell heavenly)and sprinkle on some parsely and Voila! Amazing dinner.

I made roasted mushrooms with garlic and thyme as a side, purely because I had too many mushrooms in my fridge, but the combination was very nice. We also had some very good whole grain Italian type bread and a salad with a light lemon mustard and grapeseed oil dressing that I like to make. I paired all of this with an exquisite Chardonnay from Lake Breeze... every bottle of chardonnay seems to be better than the last but this one was truly exceptional.... smooth, creamy with a buttery, nutty taste but with a lot of lemon/lime citrusy goodness too. The pairing was perfect which made me happy because I am still learning the art of a good pairing. All in all, a great meal and the kids loved it. Gorilla, who has been eating like a teenage boy lately, asked for seconds and was disappointed that there wasn't any. That is a mark of success because I used to consider him a picky eater.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

That does sound yummy! You are such an amazing cook.

Tonight I made a sweet Indian chicken/curry dish which was awesome but #1 wasn't impressed by the fact that there were raisons and cranberries in it so he complained the whole time. He loved the actual chicken and sauce but moaned and groaned about the other, which made for a slightly miserable meal. However, the rest of us enjoyed it over a fragrant wild rice that had crushed cloves and pecans in it.

Magnificent M said...

Yum! that sounds great! I love curry!! is that recipe from your new Sandy Richard book? I don't have that one yet, I should check it out!

Michelle said...

It was great. It kind of is from her new Dinner Fix book but I had to improvise since she called for mincemeat filling (the dessert kind) and I didn't have that. It's from a different weeks menu and I just thought I'd try it cause I was in the mood for curry. I used raisins and craisins in place of the minced meat stuff. I figured it was close enough! LOL

Lindsey and Mike said...

Lemon. Yum! Sounds like a great meal Magnificant!