Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Party on!

It has been a rocking party here... okay that's an exaggeration but there have been 3 parties in the last week and all were tonnes of fun.

The first party: amazing and we had a tonne of fun with my work colleagues. We were just shy of 20 people but for once it didn't feel crowded - lots of room in this house! I went a wee bit Martha and used one of her menu's for the food. Champagne punch laced with lemon, some amazing crab cakes, and honey roasted figs paired well with my additions of a cheese plate (with blue of course) and potstickers. After we gorged on the various appies, we had a sit down dinner of Roast rack of venison and roast veggies with a great Cab Franc. After dinner I made Kir Royale's and there was dessert but I don't know if anyone ate any because we were all too full. We spent a good part of the evening just chatting - usually there is some shop talk that occurs, much to the apparent irritation of spouses who come to this annual event, but for once we managed to keep avoid this. (After dinner we played a hilarious game called "Loser" and shared many laughs. Sometimes you really get to know people in ways that you aren't sure you should.

Throughout the night we went through 6 bottles of "champagne", 2 bottles of Cabernet Franc, 1 bottle of Cassis and 1 bottle of vodka. That sounds like a lot now that I have written it out!!! There were a lot of people though and we supplied all of the beverages this year so I guess that is not too bad. I do not recommend drinking more than 2 glasses of champagne in an evening though. Add the fact that Loser requires some people to serve the group and the person serving made a strong pomegranate martini and well, I did have a headache the next day. Was fine otherwise but did need to take some Advil.

Party # 2 (not really a party but....) For Banana's bday we had a lovely waffle breakfast with fruit and whip cream, opened presents and then shopped till we dropped - her choice of activity not mine. We had a great dinner at Milestones - her choice - and DH and I had a great white wine with our meal. I have completely forgotten what it was but it was an Italian Chardonnay and had a nice depth to it. We'll have her actual party in a week or so with friends and crazy girl activities.... I can not believe my little girl is 10. How did that happen. Just yesterday she was a baby with round cheeks and chubby fingers. sigh.

The third party was on New Years Eve. Less adults, more children. There was good food, more good wine, some Wii playing, a rousing game of shuffleboard that I didn't participate in because I was watching Barnyard with the children and much hilarity. At midnight we shared a toast and ran outside and banged on pots with our gaggle of children. No one on our street came out and banged pots... just us. Party on crazy neighbors!!! It was the perfect way to spend the New Year - with family and friends and a smile on my face. I have pictures but need to find my connection cord so they will have to wait.

5 comments:

T. said...

Sounds so great! I'm so jealous of the oportunity to entertain!! I can't tell you how sad face I am that I wasn't at the work party ;-). I SO wanted to make that Martha punch - I printed it out after seeing it on her show!! The whole menue from that issue actually. I really wanted to make it!! We so think alike.

4ever29 said...

I love a good party! Sounds like it's been a great week for you guys!

Michelle said...

We're going to party like it's 2007 (ok doesn't have the same ring as 1999 but you know...)! Sounds like a great week. The food sounds awesome. I'm always up for great appy's. Not sure if I said it to you and J yet but Happy New Year to your whole family!

Magnificent M said...

Tyla: ohhh, the punch was delicious. I didn't use the candied lemon, just the long curls of lemon peel and it was very good. The crab cakes on that menu were to DIE for. Die. They were the best crab cakes I have ever had. You should make them for D before he goes. Just make those and a salad or something... they are worth every ounce of effort.

4every29: you and I like a lot of the same things. I love a good party too. I love to entertain and love to cook for people but we aren't quite as social as you guys!! We have a hard time getting enough family time so we have a tendency to hole up and block out the world in an attempt for some privacy but then we realize we are being anti social so we are trying to find a balance.

Michelle: glad to hear Timberline was great! Happy New Year to you too, hope you are getting some R and R

Magnificent M said...

Tyla: ohhh, the punch was delicious. I didn't use the candied lemon, just the long curls of lemon peel and it was very good. The crab cakes on that menu were to DIE for. Die. They were the best crab cakes I have ever had. You should make them for D before he goes. Just make those and a salad or something... they are worth every ounce of effort.

4every29: you and I like a lot of the same things. I love a good party too. I love to entertain and love to cook for people but we aren't quite as social as you guys!! We have a hard time getting enough family time so we have a tendency to hole up and block out the world in an attempt for some privacy but then we realize we are being anti social so we are trying to find a balance.

Michelle: glad to hear Timberline was great! Happy New Year to you too, hope you are getting some R and R