Monday, January 15, 2007

Just another manic monday

My second alarm goes off… I reach over and press buttons until it finally stops. It is 6:45 on Monday morning. Ugh. I lay in bed thinking that I MUST get up because I have to go straight to work after dropping off the kids and that leaves no time for laying in bed thinking about all that needs to get done. I drift off and dream one of those realistic dreams where you think you are in the shower and can actually feel the water on your head but really you are asleep. I wake up at 7:12 and realize that I am indeed dreaming and the “shower” did not actually happen. Ugh. I roll over and try to convince myself to hoist up the last little bit to a sitting position. It doesn’t happen. I curse my decision to stay up until 12:15. Not smart. At 7:17 there is no more room for denial, I am now officially running late.

I drag myself out of bed. I rouse the children and ask them to please get ready quickly while I get ready for work. In the shower I remind myself 6x that I cannot simply stand there and enjoy the hot water but I do anyways. The following takes place: I get dressed, I make oatmeal, I run outside with wet hair, dress pants, sorrel winter boots and no coat to start up the truck, I warm pasta, I fill thermoses (how do you spell that?), I remember to pack forks, I find juice, I stir oatmeal, I feed the children, I tell Gorilla that his hair is still sticking up and that after breakfast he will need to wet it down, I make a latte and put it into a to go cup - there is no time for a mug.

According to the clock I should be putting on my shoes but my hair is still damp and I am in no state to face the world. I run upstairs and twist damp hair into a clip. Good enough. I do my 2-minute make up routine that is by no means glamorous but makes me somewhat presentable for the outside world. I yell from the top floor that everyone needs to put on winter boots, coats, mitts and other gear and be ready to go in 1 minute. I print off 6 documents, shut down my computer and pack into my bag. I run down the stairs with computer to discover that Gorilla has forgotten something he needs and run back up the stairs. “Get in the truck” I say. I run back downstairs and throw on my winter boots, a goat, grab my latte, a banana, proper work shoes, a wristband and some papers. Somehow I get all of this to the truck but then realize that I have forgotten the sleds so I return to grab these. Let’s not repeat the bad mommy of the week moment where I forgot to send my kids’ sleds to school and they had to use plastic bags. As I climb into the truck I run through the “do you have…..” list. We get 1 block away before we realize we have forgotten something but there is no turning back now.

I drop the children off at school, speak to one teacher, run out the door and head to work. I drink the now lukewarm latte - Mmmm. It is caffeine and it is free so that is good enough. It is also low fat – sweet joy. I peel the banana (a.k.a. breakfast) and realize I have forgotten my wallet. The banana becomes breakfast and lunch. I eat the banana, flip radio stations and create an agenda in my head for the meeting I am about to go to. Technically I formulated the agenda while I was in bed contemplating why I needed to get up and now I am simply thinking through the agenda. I arrive at work with 1 minute to spare. A lot can happen in 2 hours. Welcome to Monday.

6 comments:

Sara said...

It is after reading posts like these that I am thankful for maternity leave.

Michelle said...

OK, now I remember how hard it was to do this and go to work. Just getting #1 off to school is a feat and I don't have to get myself anywhere at a specific time (most days). I remember doing this and trying to get them to daycare and make the train and...

M, you've just exhausted me and I was already tired. I hope your day is less busy today or that you can work from home. Telecommuting is a wonderful thing.

Magnificent M said...

Sara: mat leave is so great isn't? Can you imagine trying to get out the door to work with a little baby? One of my American friends told me she only got 6 weeks of mat leave when she had her baby in the U.S.!!! Crazy!!!

Doubledouble: that song was stuck in my head for the rest of the day. At first I was trying to think of that other song but then remembered it was written about a woman who went a bit nutty and killed a bunch of children on a monday so I decided it wasn't the best monday song to reference. Oy. Taxi driver, yes add that to my job description. Along with financiar of activities, professional nag and spelling bee coach... that is me. How was the drive to timberline yesterday?

Magnificent M said...

Mpuff: today I am working from home :-) :-) :-) I usually do most mondays, engineered on purpose because I am just not up to par on mondays. I loooovvve working from home. I can stick a load of laundry in, make my lunch fresh, make as much coffee as I want and listen to gospel music while I work :-) Hope your day is good!

Anonymous said...

m,
I tried to call u on monday am to get together for a coffee.
BUT I had your old # on my cell and called some lady with many children loudly enjoying her house:)
oopps sorry wrong #:)
Mo

Magnificent M said...

Our new number is foursixzeroseveneightzeronine. would love to get together!!