Tuesday, December 05, 2006

I need a man

This weekend is when we should be getting our Christmas tree. In planning for this I realized we had a slight snag... Normally we go to this small scale tree farm, pick out our Noble, chop it down, drag it across the field, hoist it up on the truck, tie it down and then head home for some hot chocolate with or without coffee. I say we, but really I mean he. We all help to pick it out (well really I choose it but everyone else is agreeable) and then my big, strong man does the hard work while the kids run amongst the trees and I try not to freeze. This year I have no big, strong man. I think I could chop down the tree but I suspect that I could not hoist it onto the truck.

I think I need a man.

Sadly there is no 1-800-rent-a-man (well at least not the type of man rental I am looking for!). At this point I have two options, bribe some man into service for an afternoon (wine anyone?) or get a tree from somewhere like Revy.

If I can't find a man, perhaps a strong woman who isn't afraid of lifting a tree and has the smarts to help me figure out how to tie it down etc? It can't be that hard right?

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey M - dh or I would be glad to help, just let us know when you want to go, ok? Normally I do the cutting (there is something oddly satisfying about it) but as I tried to slice my finger off in my hand blender last night I will leave that to dh. Seriously, call or email me and we'll get it done for you. My dh is very strong and is amazing at tieing (sp?) things down.

Sara said...

M - you could call my aunt - Justin's mom and arrange to meet at her tree farm and she could get one of her son's to chop it for you. Just tell her I sent you and I could explain your predicament.

T. said...

I so wish I was there, I would SO help you, and you KNOW we would have a hilarious time. I am actually laughng out loud, picturing us trying to cut down and wing into a truck. Hilarious!

Anonymous said...

M,
I just got a gorgeous noble from triple tree and the handy dandy worker there gave it a fresh cut, hoisted and tied it onto the van for me as dh was off bike shopping.
Just an idea - then all you'd need is help getting it off the van- and if i know your neighborhood there are at least a couple of big strong men who would gladly help you guys get it off the van and into a stand:)
Mo

Michelle said...

Ok I realised that my last sentence could be contrued rather rudely but in my defense I meant it in a good way and regarding trees! LOL

Magnificent M said...

LOL! Okay, first let me say thanks so much for all the replies! I didn't expect such a response :-)

Mpuff super mommy: totally didn't get the rude thing until you said that then went back and read your sentence and laughed!!!

Double double: totally laughed at the you can have him comment!

Beautiful new mama (Sara): thanks so much that is a very nice. I think I have found a solution but thank you!!! Very nice of you!

Mo: I have got to take you with me one day to the tree farm we go to... the nobles are amazing! Thanks though, if I hadn't found the solution that I did, I would have done that! Glad you got a good tree :-)

And finally Stella... the image of you and me and the tree is enough to make me fall out of the chair!!!

Thank you EVERYONE. A friend of mine called me and mentioned she wanted to go to the tree farm we go to to get her tree so I finangled a double trip and her hubby will saw my two trees and throw them onto the roof for me. But thanks so much for all of the offers!!! As banana would say You guys rock, don't ever change!