Monday, November 06, 2006

Date part II

After the terminal city club we hit a jazz club briefly and then the lounge at Opus. I had a glass of champagne and DH was blown away by the scotch list. After much debate about whether to have one he already knows or try an Orkney scotch or a lowland, he opted for something that was expensive and incredibly meagre. The waitress made some comment about him liking meaty scotch and he agreed... entire convo was over my head as I think scotch stinks and wouldn't even be able to raise the glass to my face let alone drink it.

The next morning we slept in till late and then head breakfast at a little cafe. I was feeling a bit "ugh" so I had an apple and some toast and LOTS of water. LOL! After that we wandered through yaletown in the wind storm looking at funiture. We hit various overpriced stores, but one particular favorite was The Cross. We stopped in at Ganache, a pastry store I have oogled from the web but never been to, and shared a Citrone Mandarine pastry that was to die for. We then headed over to South Granville for more browsing. We hit the usuals over there, Restoration hardware, Farmhouse, Liberty and one of my all time favorites, Pottery Barn.

There has been much debate in our house as to what we are going to do for a couch. I have couch issues. At our old house, back when we reno'd it many years ago, I wanted to buy the PB basic or grand sofa for our living room. But that was back before there was a Pottery barn in Vancouver so I had to settle for Ikea. Of course, being Ikea, the couch became saggy and unsupportive very quickly. That couch is now in our rec room. When we moved to this house we decided that our very open plan living room needed a sectional. We have looked at quite possibly 1000 sectionals in the last 7 months. Then we found out we could get my Dad's old couch and love seat for free. It is sort of funky in a 70's way. I thought maybe with some effort and elbow grease I could do something really cool with it. I also thought it was solid teak, which turns out, its not. The more I thought about it, the more I decided that it was going to take me in a direction which was not where I wanted to go and that if I had that couch in my living room, it set the tone for the whole house and I wasn't up to a whole of house of 70's retro and I simply couldn't get around this. I know, trivial concerns!! So back to the sectional search we went. On saturday we discovered that they have a new couch, the Belgian, and it comes in a sectional and we fell in love with it. We spent some time with this great salesperson and he gave us lots of information and we left having only purchased the PB paint shades book (little book of all the PB paint colors) but with lots of ideas. We came home and laid newspaper on our floor in the dimensions of the sectional and played around with it for a bit and we are happy to announce that we have indeed solved the couch dilemma. How we'll afford it, I don't know but at least we have an end goal. Now I just need to get around to ordering it.

We also had dinner at the Memphis Blues bbq house. Wow. Oddly enough, this is exactly the kind of place I wanted to go to while I was in Atlanta and here it was 35 minutes from my house. We had a huge meat platter that we shared, took home and then made a second meal out of that fed us and the kids! Tonnes of really good meat! And very affordable.

Sunday we puttered around, getting things done. Once again it was time for more laundry, toilets needed to be cleaned and sinks bleached. I also rearranged my beroom and it finally looks like a real bedroom and we are very happy with it. All it needs now is some art on the walls and a proper tv stand as the table we are using is too big and too ugly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should totally double date sometime. How you spent your weekend is exactly how D and I would spend one if we had the chance. I'm so glad you guys had such a great time!

Magnificent M said...

You're on. I have something for your house... a little Therapy. :-) How shall I find you? I could drive around in Albion with a picture of your house from the blog and hope to find you but this seems somewhat inefficient. Do you have a phone yet? are you listed, I guess I could call 411?

Anonymous said...

We are in the church directory in the P section or you could get our number from Murray's parents or Double Double. We have the same phone number we had before.